Friday, June 6, 2025

A Boy Named Goo, Pam


Very glad to have recognized the first song right off the bat! Great start. I have a special place in my heart for Goo Goo Dolls after their Christmas album from a few years ago has become a recent favorite. I was expecting A Boy Named Goo to be a hidden gem of nostalgia. There were a few songs that I recognized, and another few that I hadn't heard before but I enjoyed. Probably not a hot take, but what's with the other singer? It seemed like the tracklist alternated between two singers for the first half of the album, and the main guy, the one who sounds a bit like Rod Stewart, the "Iris" guy, had the better songs. Maybe that's just because his voice is Goo Goo Dolls to me. He held up his end of the nostalgia hidden gem bargain. The other guy doesn't sound bad, but his songs change the sound up so much that it sounds like a completely different band. It really does a number on the cohesiveness of the album as a whole. 

Oof. "Slave Girl." Regrettable.

1 comment:

Casey O said...

Totally agree about the second singer. Love how you call Johnny Reznick the Iris guy. Great take. lol