Friday, June 20, 2025

Sunny Day Real Estate, Jeanine


My first reaction was, "Why would Puke on Your Birthday select this album for me?" This band sounds like the parents of Nickelback and Fall Out Boy, and not in a good way.  

I am unsure why this band calls itself "Sunny Day Real Estate," because there is nothing bright or sunny about their music. The sound itself is heavy, and lends itself better to a rainy day. The lyrics were difficult to understand, and I'm not sure I heard more than one or two clear words per song. And no, I did not go back to relisten. 

These songs sound like they would have been included in an episode of The O.C. I don't say this in a negative way, the show promoted a lot of small bands at that time, but that was one of my first thoughts when listening. The songs don't sound dated. That album could have easily come out in 2005 or 2015.  That is the one thing I appreciate about this album—it could have been released any time, the sound isn't tied to a trend.

As far as mid-nineties emo rock goes, I'll take Bush and Alanis any day.

Anyway, I want to want to blog, but alas, deadlines make me anxious. I don't want to write, and then I have hardly any time left before the deadline.  It's a nasty circle. I am looking forward to my next write up in August, which I will start being anxious about at the end of July.

No comments: