Prompt: "One of the worst songs"
Selected by Kait
"Feel It All Around"
Washed Out
Life of Leisure EP, 2009
Look, I want to like this song. I want its mellow waves to gently rock me in a calm body of warm water as I stare up at the stars and contemplate moving to France. That sounds great, but the reality is, this song bothers me. A lot. It conjures up these unexplainable feelings of discomfort and unease every single time I hear it. And yes, this is the theme song for Portlandia, a show I am quite fond of, so I hear this terrible cacophony far too often. It makes me so jittery that I have to skip the introduction to the show. Then I sit there wondering what the hell is it about this putrid ensemble of ungodly noises that irks me so damn much. Did I live a previous life in which this was the soundtrack during my everyday commute to and from a garbage dump? Where I was struggling to build a home for me and my 20 raccoon children out of old baseball caps and scrap metal? Does this song remind me of how no matter how many baseball caps I gather, they will never stop the rain from coming into the house because they're not a viable roofing material? But I keep trying because facing that reality is more painful than pretending I'm an adequate caregiver by slopping up every Devil Rays and Marlins hat I can get my little hands on? Probably. That's probably it.
No comments:
Post a Comment