Sunday, April 24, 2022

Album of the Week: Jailbreak

It's Dwyer's bachelor party this week. The members of Record Club who are taking the trip have banded together to choose this week's album. Don't worry, in addition to paying for all this drinks this weekend, we are also forcing the bachelor to write a review.
 
I'm trying to undersell the excitement, since this paragraph really only applies to six or seven people that could possibly be reading this album of the week intro. For all those not boarding a plane this Thursday, feel free to use the [redacted thing YOU KNOW WHAT that Dwyer made me delete from this paragraph] as additional motivation to write this week's review.

We got the archives for you, if you don't want anything to do with Dwyguy this week and would instead explore what Record Club listened to while he was still single. We have the goals as well, and I guess having four album pickers this week all but guarantees we're going to keep pace this week. Finally, we have the album. Let's get to it.
 
But one more thing! Apropos of nothing at all, here is a prescient quote that I think might be nice to contemplate on this Sunday morning.
You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! I just do things. The mob has plans. The cops have plans. Gordon's got plans. Y'know they're schemers. Schemers trying to control their little worlds. I try to show the schemers how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. So when I say that you and your girlfriend was nothing personal, you know I'm telling the truth. It's the schemers that put you where you are. You were a schemer, you had plans, and, uh, look where that got you.

I just did what I do best. I took your little plan, and I turned it on itself. Look what I did to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets, hmm? You know what I noticed? Nobody panics when things go according to plan. Even when the plan is horrifying. If tomorrow I told the press that, like, a gang-banger would get shot, or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics. Because it's all part of the plan. But when I say that one little old mayor will die, well then everybody loses their minds! Introduce a little anarchy.

WEEK 169 — April 24-30, 2022

What we're listening to this week (Drew's and Lamson's and Sam's and Stephan's pick):


ALBUM: Jailbreak
ARTIST: Thin Lizzy

RELEASED: March 26, 1976

LOCATION: Dublin, Ireland

WHAT GENRE IS THIS: hard rock, blues rock, classic rock

WHY DREW AND LAMSON AND SAM AND STEPHAN PICKED IT: So I set up a group chat with these four lads, explaining that I wanted them to come together to choose an album. A reasonable ask, since I knew for a fact that all of them were going to have at least three hours free time on Thursday morning (assuming flights aren't delayed). Some other albums were mentioned, pretty much all of them were ineligible (Sam said "The Future," which I would argue is actually part III of a triple album, but I would've accepted it if the vote came down to that; Lamson said a Lord of the Rings soundtrack—no soundtracks!—or Lizzo—Week 15!—neither of which were eligible; Drew shockingly did not say anything about Astro Lounge). Stephan finally had the winning suggestions. Chosen for reasons that you may or may not be able to surmise, based on its most popular song and the context in which some of us will be listening to it.

TRACKLIST:
  1. Jailbreak
  2. Angel from the Coast
  3. Running Back
  4. Romeo and the Lonely Girl
  5. Warriors
  6. The Boys Are Back in Town
  7. Fight or Fall
  8. Cowboy Song
  9. Emerald
LENGTH: 36:15
 
WHERE TO LISTEN FOR FREE: YouTube
 
READING SOME SHIT: Hmm, there might be some worthy factoids in this "story behind our most famous song" write-up by Louder Sound.

PREVIOUSLY ON RECORD CLUB: The boys are back in town as the musical artist this week, after three weeks in a row of female artists. Do we as a group tend to pick more male artists or female artists? I just did a quick count, and out of the past 169 weeks, 44 artists were women (or fronted by a woman), nine were co-fronted by both a man and a woman, and three who identify as non-binary (as far as I'm aware of, but please correct me if I missed anyone). That leaves 112 artists who were males (or fronted by a male), or around 2/3rds of the artists we choose. (Plus, let's not forget about the goddamn cartoon dog, which I did not include in these findings.) We've been better recently, but I think we can improve even more. I think we will in enough time. Gotta love when the boys are back in town, but let's share the love among all genders.

RANKING EVERY ALBUM THAT STEPHAN, SAM, LAMSON, DREW, OR DWYER HAVE EVER CHOSEN:


Happy listening, fam! Have a great week!

No comments: