Friday, April 22, 2022

Humble Quest, Nate


Cards on the table, I have not listened to the Maren Morris album more than once. Sounded fine that one time. Maren has long been the alt-country fan's pop-country performer, and that holds true here, too. I like the self-referential songwriting, I like the turn toward country as opposed to away from it (see Musgraves, Kacey).

The reason I forwent my homework this week is I CANNOT STOP LISTENING TO PERENNIAL. P E R E N N I A L.

I cannot remember the last time a band has put a battery in my back like this. I hear MC5. I hear the Electric Six. I hear the Thermals. I hear post-hardcore. I hear rockabilly. I hear punk. I hear R&B. I hear sex. I hear violence. I hear hate. I hear love. I hear the past. I hear the future. Album of the year. Perennial!

Gotta see this band live today, not tomorrow.