Friday, April 8, 2022

The Sign, Zach


It was when I was most of the way through The Sign—when I got to the song "Happy Nation"—when I realized that I have no choice but to bow slowly, carefully, judiciously, to my new Swedish overlords. I had been listening to the same beat for 40 minutes, and I started to feel like a part of some kind of North Korea-esque marching-in-tune army, except with perfectly manicured parks and boats that take you through icy waters. If Sweden were a Communist country, Ace of Base would rule with a tight-fisted wad of cash.

That's how they get you. You think you're coasting your way through nostalgic radio hits. And then all of a sudden you find yourself doing a two-step at work, forced to perform backbreaking labor. Streaks in my hair? Yes, please!

In short—this album is great, and then by the end, I needed to take a long walk outside, in the sunny sun, to express my freedom. Kind of like the Iron Curtain, am I right? Yeah!

No comments: