Friday, April 29, 2022

Jailbreak, Stephan


Classic rock is a genre of which I have never particularly been a fan. This is not to say that I dislike the genre—I definitely have a few favorite songs that I love to sing at karaoke or belt out drunkenly at weddings—but it's definitely one that I rarely seek or listen to in my leisure. I do realize the irony considering I proposed this week's album.

Irony and feelings about the genre aside, I truly enjoyed Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak. Immediately, I was immersed in their world of frenetic fun, carefreeness, brotherhood, and, at times, reminiscence. Probably largely due to my personal lack of knowledge or appeal toward the genre, this album invoked a strong sense of an endless summer, the desire to simply live in the moment. Sometimes that moment is just kicking back with the boys and stirring up / embracing chaos, which is conveyed in songs like "Jailbreak," "Warriors," and "The Boys Are Back in Town." Sometimes that moment is reflecting on life experiences as heard in "Cowboy Song." Other times, the vibe is simply dreamy and contemplative ("Fight of Fall"). 

Until this week, I don't think I ever fully understood this genre, and just chalked up its vibes to boomer nostalgia or difference in culture other than that in which I was raised. While I will still likely choose other music styles over classic rock, I definitely feel like I have a better understanding and appreciation of what albums like Jailbreak can deliver. 

While this review has been mostly positive, I cannot omit how much I hate one particular lyric, found  in "Romeo and the Lonely Girl." Rhyming "Romeo" with "Own-ee-o" is just so stupid and makes me so mad. I get that the '70s had no shortage of drugs, but your stone-ee-o'd minds couldn't conceive a better rhyme or melody?

4 out of 5 boys are back in town

No comments: