Friday, April 29, 2022

Jailbreak, Melissa


Remember, just briefly, that I am a baby person who loves pop, sugary, airy-light music. I literally was spooked by Sufjan Stevens. So, upon seeing just the album art for Jailbreak, I was thinking, "Oh, boy. Here we go..." Yet, in the honor, and context, of a friend’s bachelor weekend, or bachelor parties in general, this album works for me. I want to have the kind of friends who use this album to pump them up for a bachelor weekend. There is something chill about this album. This is the "just right" Goldilocks equivalent of rock 'n' roll for me. Do I like rock now? Am I a rocker? 

(Slips on leather jacket)

And while I've slipped on my leather jacket, and cool, rock edge, I am still doing menial, nerdy tasks while listening to this album. "Angel from the Coast" is getting me through end-of-year evaluations—a portfolio I have to create describing how awesome I've been this year. "Angel, she’s a killer, just rolled in from the coast," I slip on my Ray-Bans ready to type. I am a killer, just rolling into town to evaluate myself this year... and I am awesome! Beware, folks. 

"Running Back" has me head-bopping while I sort printouts for my next few classes. I am reminded of some, surely better, Springsteen songs that exist out there. This is definitely rock I can get behind. 

I've started deleting emails through "Romeo and the Lonely Girl," just the light bop I need to sort through the good, the bad, the needed, and the spam. "Warriors" is the rock I think I don't like too much, but it motivates the hell out of me to write that email I need to send to someone infuriating. I will need to check back later that the email wasn't as harsh as the drums pummeling through my speakers. 

"The Boys Are Back in Town" is as adorable as ever. (Can rock be adorable or did I just ruin something?) This song exists on too many commercials, but the nostalgia is strong. It makes me want to send a text to friends I've missed and get the band back together for a night of light shenanigans. Maybe I could be the "chick" who was "shaking what she got" again, or "slap Johnny's face" once more? After that lightly-wild night, I'd need a "Fight or Fall" sobering. This is a recovery mode of a song; like that mellow, sloppy, slowness of the day after too much drinking, shaking, and slapping. 

"Cowboy Song" is worrisome at first. Will the band recover? Will they be able to get back out there and ride again? Then, musically, we're back baby! Cowbell? Hell yes! Roll me over, friends! "Emerald" is the anthem for the superheroes back out on the town ready to have fun.  

All of the last few songs were listened to at a gray desk, under harsh lighting and the doom of finalizing paperwork. Avoiding my menial tasks, I am nostalgic for some nights of wild, mornings of recovery, and shenanigans with friends. All of that I wish for my friends at a bachelor weekend. 

Ride again, cowboys! 3 out of 5 leather jackets.

No comments: