Sunday, November 15, 2020

Album of the Week: Little Neon Limelight

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled program. There are plenty of people on the Record Club email chain, and not everyone wants to participate, and I'm going to have to just learn to deal with it. As someone who loves doing Record Club with you guys, it's a sentiment I can't understand, but I will eventually accept.

We return this week to having members actually choose their own albums, members who actually want to participate (or, at the very least, members who are aware they are being peer pressured to participate in a pointless activity). Things are quickly lining up for the remaining weeks of the year, but if YOU would like to pick an album, then there's no time like the present (or, more likely, early January). Let me know!

If you wanna check out some older albums and see the trail that Record Club has already blazed, then see that HERE. If you would rather just listen your way through Record Club's history, then you can hear a playlist HERE. If you choose to charge ahead, then continue below and explore this week's album.

WEEK 94 — November 15-21, 2020

What we're listening to this week (Drew A.'s pick):


ALBUM:
Little Neon Limelight
ARTIST: Houndmouth

RELEASED: March 17, 2015

WHAT GENRE IS THIS: I've never listened to this band before, so I can't say for sure, but it looks like alternative country, alternative blues, indie rock, Americana, and folk rock could all apply

WHY DREW PICKED IT: "I first saw Houndmouth live when they were promoting this album. Recently, I found myself revisiting it for some reason. I think it was one of the better live performances I've seen, and it was just generally a CRAZY night. I think now that we live in a world without concerts, this album takes me back to a wilder time."

TRACKS:
  1. Sedona
  2. Otis
  3. 15 Years
  4. For No One
  5. Black Gold
  6. Honey Slider
  7. My Cousin Greg
  8. Gasoline
  9. By God
  10. Say It
  11. Darlin'
LENGTH: 39:04

WHERE TO LISTEN FOR FREE: YouTube

READING SOME SHIT: I thought for sure that WXPN was going to have an interview with this band—those particular genre tags scream 88.5 XPN—but no dice. Not too much to choose from overall, but here's a short feature from The Marquee, which reads a bit like a press release but definitely fills in some extra details about the album.

Happy listening, fam! Have a great week!

No comments: