Friday, October 6, 2023

Victory Laps, Sunny


Who are you Mr. Fang? Or may I call you Wax? Friends call me Lacan, of which I have none.

Who are you really? At "Pusher" I am thinking this an electronic, '80s eurodance-style album. Ah but then the rocking begins, right into track 2. So it's a guitar rock album? Ah but THEN "Decathect" (deca-thect? de-ka-thect?), with the massive attack trip hopping and three-note piano driving. Are you decathecting right now Mr. Fang?

I suppose where this album feels like it's hitting all cylinders somewhere along "..." into "Serenity Now," your best track, which I won't even link the Seinfeld clip because it will come to the minds of the appropriate readers automatically, into "Mystery Girl," which is also pretty fun, tangent into tangent into tangent.

(Sort of repeating yourself with "Lonely Nights," though)

That's what this album is Mr. Fang, no? Tangents on tangents? You are playing with blank space? Here's a tangent: Through circumstances too depressing to recount, I have a christian rock song stuck in my head. It is constant agony. I am washing my brain over and over again with pop hits, fighting fire with fire so to speak. It is not until today I am realizing your nursery choruses have rewritten the script.

Who are you Mr. Fang? I do not know. I cannot seem to pin this album but that it is a mix of musical and lyrical themes. You seem to have the most fun when you're just jamming: the last minute of "Pusher," second to last of track 2, last couple minutes of "Mystery Girl." Or when you're saying somewhat silly things in silly voices with silly accompaniments. Or maybe I am insulting you? Who knows, I cannot figure who you are. But I am liking silly. And I am liking that your voice sounds like it's coming through Kazoo paper most of the time.

No comments: