Friday, December 18, 2020

My Gift, Pam


For several years in a row in the late '90s, my mother gently forced me to cantor at our church in Feasterville. All in all, I'm glad I did it—it was a good way to "give back," as every older relative in my family would comment: "You have a gift." (See what I did there?)
 
Every year for Christmas Eve, I sang at the 5 PM Mass. Better known to the parishioners of Assumption B.V.M. as the "Children's Mass." They packed them in for this one. It was a cool 45 mins, so the "chreasters" could get home to their post-Church celebrations. Even though I sang at Mass, we were still part of the chreaster crew. All the kids were invited up onto the altar while the priest delivered the homily, asking the kids "Does anyone know who's coming tonight?" Hee hee, the right answer being Baby Jesus, but no doubt those kids would answer "Santa!" year after year. Years later, that priest, who delivered the Children's Mass annually, was accused of the attempted rape of an altar boy. Yes, the levels of how f***** up that is are unimaginable. 
 
Anyway, I'm getting off topic—that mass every year, that's this album.

No comments: