"All I Want"
LCD Soundsystem
from This Is Happening
2010
LCD Soundsystem exists in the tension between knowing this band is knocking it out of the park with every hit and knowing that they wouldn't be doing so if they weren't liberally taking sounds from music that already exists. The line between genius and fraud is so fine as to be almost invisible when it comes to this fucking band.
"All I Want" is basically "'Heroes'" by David Bowie. At what point does it become straight-up theft? I've wondered this for about a decade now, but it was only the other day that I saw this quote from David Bowie himself: "The only art I'll ever study is stuff that I can steal from." I think if Bowie is going to be okay with "stealing," then he's probably okay with being stolen from.
All I want is for artists to be upfront with their influences.
No comments:
Post a Comment