Prompt: "A song you sang in elementary school during some sort of assembly or recital"
Selected by Pat
"Greased Lightnin'"
Danny Zuko (performed by John Travolta) with the Greasers
Grease: The Original Soundtrack from the Motion Picture, 1978
Oh man, we're back to talking about Ambler Catholic's Salute to the Twentieth Century! What a surprisingly formative event in my life!
As you may recall, my third grade class had been tasked with putting on a show about the 1950s. We started with a dance to "At the Hop," which doubled as my sexual awakening. We followed up with a bunch of eight-year-old boys recreating the number for "Greased Lightnin'." The car we were working on was one of those classic red and yellow Little Tikes cars. I remember specifically that I was the only one wearing a leather jacket.
That variety show was twenty-five years ago. At the time, the 1950s had ended forty years earlier. If we did the same kind of thing now, we'd have eight-year-olds dancing to "When Doves Cry." Good times. Good, good times.
2 comments:
This is a serious question: when you guys sang this, did you include the lyric "she's a real pussy wagon"?
Our performance wasn't very long, so I don't think we got to that verse. I remember the real issue was "You know that ain't no shit." My teacher insisted Danny Zuko was saying "shift," as in "shift the car."
She didn't address "tit" in the same line because we were eight and didn't notice.
Post a Comment