Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 80: Sara

Prompt: "A song about platonic love"

Selected by Sara


"Crowded Table"
The Highwomen

Friendship is the greatest form of platonic love. Friendship can form into family units when needed. A friendship that I've been thinking about a lot if that of Emma Nelson and Manny Sanchez. If you are not familiar, they are characters on Degrassi: The Next Generation. They are best friends! With all friendships they see certain difficulties. I personally think when they are in years seven through nine, the greatest difficulties they face are Emma being a total brown-nosing narc. Literally her stepdad is a teacher, and she's just someone who wants to tell you the rules over and over. Then after that, she asks you to sign a petition about turtles. Manny breaks the rules more, she is pushing boundaries in many ways. The most recent episode I watched, Manny decides to get an abortion. While Emma doesn't agree with it, she sticks up for Manny when the father (Craig) says that she can't. That's a real friend! That's love.

2 comments:

Joe K said...

Surprise! I am here in the comment section to discuss Degrassi!!!

The interesting thing about Emma is that she's not wrong with a lot of the stuff she believes. It's just that it takes her a while to figure out that you can't force that message onto other people. Seventh-year Emma is browbeating her friends into signing petitions. Ninth-year Emma is content to let her friend make her own decisions and support her regardless. Tenth-year Emma is exploring the boundaries of her own morality by blowing Jay in the ravine. And so on.

They probably didn't do enough to underline the fact that this is a character who was abducted and practically molested in the pilot episode of the series. Like, for a normal person, that would be traumatic, and might explain some of the rigid moral guidelines that she narcs over in the early part of the series.

It's been a while since I've seen most of the episodes I'm attempting to write about here so take my comment with a grain of salt.

Sara said...

I think I need Emma to get to year 10 when she blows Jay in the ravine. It's her turning point!! Early on Emma is like a "I have to be so responsible because my mom was a teen mom and now I have a baby brother to take of" vibe and she needs to loosen up. I think Manny just starts making mistakes earlier. It's surprising Emma and Liberty aren't closer because they are the same person in a different font.

I want more Degrassi talk since I'm rewatching with Ry. My songs might turn into Degrassi ramblings.