Thursday, June 27, 2024

Yearlong Song Challenge, Day 86: Dave

Prompt: "A pro-women anthem"

Selected by Dave


"Liza"
NOFX
Heavy Petting Zoo, 1996

A few days ago, I used the track "Liza and Louise" by NOFX, and referenced the sequel called "Liza." The song chronicles Liza's life following her breakup from Louise, and it resembles not only a pro-women anthem, but also a pro-LGBTQ anthem. Liza develops from a submissive new-found lesbian into not only a top but a dominatrix "femme bitch top."

Some may interpret the song as tongue in cheek, but it's really anything but that. Vocalist Fat Mike is a strong ally who credits himself with running Underoath off the 2006 Warper Tour due to their views on same-sex marriage. Also notable, Fat Mike is a BDSM enthusiast, so he clearly indulged himself in crafting this tale.

Side note, I was at the 2006 Warper Tour, and it was announced during our show that Underoath had left the tour. I was pretty pissed. They said they needed some time to regroup as a band. Fat Mike isn't exactly a beacon of integrity, but I believe his side of the story.

2 comments:

Joe K said...

Oh BOY do Bridget and Maeve have a book recommendation for you!!!!

Dave said...

Please, I’d love to hear it!