Prompt: "A song about platonic love"
Selected by Brianna
"I Love My Friends"
Foster the People
Sacred Hearts Club, 2017
Everyone always said that keeping friends in your older years was tough, but does anyone ever really listen to these kinds of things? Just like sage advice about living in the moment, you usually don't know it's true until time has come and gone. Now, here I am, in my earliest of thirties, already struggling to keep in touch with the wonderful people I've gotten to know and love at different stages of my life.
My hometown heroes are easy. The Group Chat may be a little quieter these days, but we show up for each other, even when they're states away. I've known most of these peeps since high school or earlier, and once saw a statistic that said if you are friends for longer than seven years, then you're likely friends for life. With something like fifteen years in the bag with these guys, I think we can call it early that these are friends of the forever sort.
My college buds are where things are harder. By nature of college friendships, we came from all over the place, and remain pretty scattered across the East Coast. We organize fantasy football leagues and gather for holidays / major events, but time seems to get longer in between check-ins these days. Perhaps it's friendship fatigue (I know I feel it as the queen of hating non-face-to-face communication of any kind), or maybe it's that we are all growing up and starting the next chapter of our lives. We certainly don't have a cool blog to post on and keep in touch through, so it's hard. All I do know is that when we do get together, it's like no time has passed at all, and I guess that is what counts with these things.
Outside of that, I can't see myself gaining many more new friends these days. Work is work and my social battery is too spent after teaching classes to mingle with coworkers. And it's not like I'm out joining social clubs or starting new hobbies these days. I'm not too worried about it, though.
I'd like to think of friends as one of those things where quality is better than quantity. And boy, do I have some quality people around me. As a wise band once said, I love my friends! We're a disaster but it's nothing new.
No comments:
Post a Comment