Tuesday, June 25, 2024

It's Not Too Late: YSC, Day 83: Brianna

Prompt: "A song with a specific line or lyric that never fails to make you laugh"

Selected by Brianna


"Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die"
Willie Nelson
live version, 2013

I once went to a Farm Aid festival and ate some mushroom chocolates with my friends. Before things went horribly wrong on the way home (a low point set in a Maryland jail cell), it was probably one of the best days of my life. 

We met a bunch of really cool people at the tailgate, some I still count as friends, and had ourselves a day. Dancing barefoot in the grass to the likes of acoustic Dave Matthews and legendary Neil Young, we shared so many laughs throughout concerts. Nothing made us laugh more than Willie Nelson and Family's set. 

Man, that dude looked old. His guitar had holes in it outside of, like, the important one. His son, the talented Lukas Nelson, looked like he was desperately trying to hold the set together on his own. These factors, paired with the "heal the world" talk, you can imagine was being spewed at Farm Aid a year into Donnie's reign of terror, it was hilarious. I struggle to find a way to explain why we found all this so funny, so maybe this is all on account of the chocolates? I don't know. 

I am sure, however, you can see the humor in the moment this prompt is all centered on. There we were: already giggling our way through the night in the highest of spirits imaginable (literally and figuratively) and Willie starts to strum on that broken guitar. "Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die" began to play, and we just about fell to the ground, rolling around and kicking our feet with tear streaked faces. To this day, ask anyone in the groupchat how they want to end their body's time on this planet, and the answer will be the same every time.

No comments: