How did it come to be that I'm circling back to Record Club for this Chappel Roan album? Well, just so happens that it's the Philadelphia Phillies. Specifically, this tweet. Which led me to this article.
And so I decided to listen to some Chappel Roan about a month ago. And now, here I am, reviewing the album.
I've listened to it a few times, and while there are definitely some really fun tracks, I just got bored in the middle, which I wasn't expecting. BUT, I'm sure there are people out there way cooler than me listening to this in way cooler places than driving through New Jersey in a mid-'10s Toyota, which would make it maybe less boring. What I will say is that I cannot shake the idea that this is almost a parody album of all things pop. I keep hearing Olivia Rodrigo, a sneaky reference (perhaps a jab even?) at TSwift Karma, and even a little Rihanna on the end of the first track? Maybe it's just everything people love about pop, let's not overthink it. Overall, fun artist, fine record, I'm happy to see people happy about it.

No comments:
Post a Comment