German Pilsner
(#25)
Exemplified by G-Town Strutter
Sometimes I wish I would've committed to going through these different beer styles in order; jumping all over the list means that I drink some styles before I get to the other styles that they are variations of. The classic pilsner is a Czech pilsner, as this style was created in the Czech town of PlzeĆ. German pilsners are similar, but they were created because the Czech style was so successful.
I could talk about pilsners a bit, even though that might be stepping on Czech pilsner's toes. Lagers are fermented cool, so the recipes are usually a lot simpler. Any fruitiness that comes from the yeast in ales are suppressed in lagers (Mosher claims that no beer judge would ever accept a lager with notes of fruitiness). Lagers, and thus pilsners, are instead noted for their cleanliness and consistency. There shouldn't be overwhelming maltiness, and the "noble hops" give it that classic "beer taste."
Honestly, any pilsner is going to remind you of any shitty American beer you had growing up. Nothing wrong with that. If G-Town Strutter tastes like a fancy, well-made Miller Lite, well then good for G-Town Strutter. I love beer.
German pilsners are apparently a little drier and more bitter than their Czech counterparts, but until we drink more of them, we'll just have to take Tasting Beer's word for it. In the meantime, add German pilsners to the pile of BEERS THAT I LIKE.
NOTES
BEER: G-Town Strutter
STYLE: German Pilsner
ABV: 5.8%
BREWED BY: Attic Brewing Co. (see ya when the pandemic is over, Attic!)
LOCATION: Philadelphia
PURCHASED AT: online from the brewery
PAIRED WITH: crockpot chicken tacos (decent pairing, even though the cultures are crossed)
GRADE: 3 pukes out of 5
BEER COUNT: 202.5

No comments:
Post a Comment