My baby used to dance underneath my architecture, we lost track of space, we lost track of time.
Friday, May 15, 2020
Microshift, Frank
When this album started, I thought it was going to be a heavy electronic weirdo dance album. Granted, I went in completely blind to listening the first time, but I was then pleasantly surprised when the rock came rushing in. And then I was pleasantly surprised when they started kicking ass.
This album made me feel like I was back in high school, like I was blaring music in my car the first month I got my license, or going out deep in the woods to drink beers with friends but mostly strangers, and the excitement that came from that. They don’t particularly sound like any high school bands, but they have the energy of my favorite high school bands, with a really polished sound and focused purpose.
I can’t describe what these songs were technically. I don’t know or remember any of the lyrics, or really any of the rifts, and I’ve listened to this five times now. So I guess it’s not important. But it made me feel something raw and immediate and visceral, and I think that was music is about sometimes.
That isn’t helpful for anyone else because it was such a subjective experience, but this album rocked and it made me feel seventeen again and full of energy and dance and joy. I hope it does that for some of you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment