Monday, May 4, 2020

This Is My Blood: Billows

Another entry in the quest to drink every type of beer. See the list HERE.


Kölsch
(#43)
Exemplified by Billows

I was reluctant to even consider this particular beer a Kölsch beer, even though the word "Kölsch" is right there on the label. I am relenting, though, because what the fuck do I know? I clearly wouldn't know a Kölsch from any other German beer, so maybe this is a great example of a Kölsch. Fuck it.

The reason I say all that is because Billows tasted very close to an IPA. Here's what a Kölsch should taste like, according to the book: bready, a tiny bit fruity, with maybe a touch of hops. Main point being that hops are not the main attraction here. They should be in the background. But with Billows, they were right up front. Again, we look to the label "hoppy Kölsch-style ale."

Now, you may be surprised that I am looking at the "hoppy" part of the equation and not the fact that it says "Kölsch-style" instead of just plain "Kölsch," but the reasoning for that is separate from my suspicions about its true style. You see, unlike yesterday's Amber Ale, Kölsch beers carry the weight of European tradition. In fact, the word "Kölsch" is protected by law in Europe—only brewers in its hometown of Köln, Germany may use the word.

Apparently, these session beers are served from barrels right there on the bar in the beer-serving establishments of Köln. They serve the beer in tall, thin glasses, and the barkeeps don't even ask if you want another one—they just keep bringing them to you until you put your coaster over the glass (I wonder if Fogo de Chao got the idea from this and applied it to meat).

No, it's the hops that give it away. (Sidenote: I'm starting to think that I might not hate IPAs in general, but instead just the specific hop of Centennial, which seems popular. I'll investigate this sometime.) Like I said before, I need categorization in my life. I need to just know what a straight-up Kölsch tastes like. Maybe afterward, we can try whatever bullshit concoctions Burial Beer Co. is coming up with.

NOTES

BEER: Billows

GENRE: German Kölsch

ABV: 4.9%

BREWED BY: Burial Beer Co.

LOCATION: Asheville, NC

PURCHASED AT: ABV Beverages

PAIRED WITH: A hardboiled egg sandwich—I made it till lunch today before cracking a beer

GRADE: 2 pukes out of 5

BEER COUNT: 180

No comments: