Thursday, May 21, 2020

This Is My Blood: Unresolved

I'm continuing my trek through every beer style (HERE) as well as my trek through almost every beer Attic Brewing Co. currently has to offer (and were nice enough to bring directly to my door).


Maibock
(#37)
Exemplified by Unresolved

Attic's description of the beer is pretty much right on the money, as far as bocks go: "Brewed during the winter to be released in the spring, this traditional German strong lager is light in color, with a biscuit like malty character that is balanced with a nice dose of German noble hops."

We already talked about bocks at length, so what differentiates the substyle of maibock? As always, the answer is in a mundane detail. Maibocks are a bit on the pale side, and typically a little hoppier. That's about it. If you like bock beer, but you haven't had enough of them to necessarily taste the minutiae (raising my hand here), then you will like maibocks.

And as always, you can historical trace this beer's prominence in different parts of Europe through the centuries—Einbeck, Germany claims to be the town of origin, a Bravian monarch helped sort the details, the style spread from there all around the continent.

I'll be honest, though... very rarely do I drink a beer like maibocks and stop to consider the historical value. I have a cold beer in my hand, I'm drinking it, it's sweet and refreshing, I'm good. Plus, if maibocks truly are a "springtime beer," then I was just happy that I was able to sneak another one in before summer starts tomorrow.

NOTES

BEER: Unresolved

STYLE: Maibock

ABV: 7.6%

BREWED BY: Attic Brewing Co.

LOCATION: Philadelphia, PA

PURCHASED AT: Online, delivered

PAIRED WITH: Grilled cheese, very good pairing

GRADE: 3.5 pukes out of 5

BEER COUNT: 195

No comments: