I'm trying not to judge an album by its artist's very stupid spelling of his name. I'm also trying, desperately, to not judge it by the underscores in the title or the uncapitalized words. Regardless, this album feels, at times, as forced and ridiculous as those "stylistic choices."
"this is what falling in love feels like" has whistling, and silly synthesizers, and I don't know if I've fallen in love with JVKE or if I think this music is stupid. His voice when he sing-raps is a little upsetting, and I would rather he didn't make that choice, but here we are. When he purely sings, I'm very much thinking this is Pop music and not some weird white-dude-doing-a-thing. He can hit some high notes and should stick to that vocal quality.
"golden hour" stands out to me as the clear winner of the album. It was the inspo for my choice this week. This song has moments that feel so reminiscent of Barry Manilow and Billy Joel. I'm not sure if it's the jamming piano, the vocals, or the music itself, but there is a comfort food element that this stirs up in me (a child of parents who loved Barry & Billy). I think I'm just very invested in the piano-heavy songs like "i'm not okay," until that one turned into this weird amalgamation of Queen and I'm so confused by JVKE again. Much like the spelling of his name, some of these choices are so forced.
"ghost town" should play in the background of a scene from The Summer I Turned Pretty. Much like this album, I watched that show and I'm not sure what I watched at all. Did I love it? Maybe. Did anything happen? Not sure. Will I watch Season 3? Absolutely. I'm not even mad, I'm just disappointed in myself.
"this is what sadness feels like" would also 100% be on TSITP. Had this song been out in the '90s, it would also be on the likes of a Dawson's Creek. The youths are so sad! Was I this sad? Yeah, probably. I was probably all "this is what it underscore underscore underscore underscore feels like ellipsis (Vol. 1-4)" on multiple occasions.
As we saunter down JVKE's hyper alt-pop playlist, "wonder if she loves me" strikes me as chill, but the epitome of corny. I'll admit, I love it when the string instruments come in and I swoon and call myself "Lady Melissa of the House of JVKE." I sip my tea before JVKE takes my hand and swings me around the ballroom.
I shake myself awake from my Jane Austen daydream in time to listen to "save your breath," which sounds like JVKE’s true lane—he should stay in this lane. There was a moment when I heard a glimmer of "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls at a moment of vocal pleading and thought "who hasn't inspired this album?" "And I don't want the world to see me / 'Cause I don't think that they'd understand." This made me want to listen to the Goo Goo Dolls.
"i can't help it" was a weird Christmas version of a better song.
I was lulled into this album by pianos and violins, but then, ultimately I was not so in love with how hard JVKE is trying. I wish he would just sing, play piano, and add some violins from time to time. When we listened to Noah Kahan, I thought about youthful apathy. I think there is another side to that youthful coin when it comes to more modern pop music. The attempt is to do everything, all at once, while really doing all the same stuff that's been done before. We get the same themes of loss and of love (à la Olivia Rodrigo) but with all the pizazz and confidence of someone who says "he wants to do something bigger than albums." That swagger allows you to create an album title that looks like it rolled off my Xanga.
In conclusion:
(∿°○°)∿ ︵ ǝʌol
(◍•ᴗ•◍)❤
▔\▁((.′◔_′◔.))▁/▔

No comments:
Post a Comment