Jeremy Renner's The Medicine was something else. I went in with open ears and left shaking my head. I like(d) Jeremy Renner. He's seemed down to earth anytime I've seen him in an interview, but I think I may be wrong. This album had me doing a lot of things, none of which were really enjoying the actual music.
First, I dove into the Renner app, which was so funny and bizarre.
Then, this conversation happened:
Me: His voice reminds me of that guy—you know, the Spidey and Friends singer.Gary: The guy from Fall Out Boy?Me: Yes, but more importantly the Spidey-song guy. Patrick something?Gary: Stump?Me: Yes! Spidey guy.
Then, we discussed whether Jeremy Renner is a conceited jerk or not. I err on the side of him simply being a Renaissance man—dare I say RENNER-SANCE man? I think he's the kind of guy who has a confidence I'll never touch—one that says "sure, I can and will do that thing regardless of how this makes me look." He's the kind of guy who rides a snow plow (too soon?), builds an app around his Renner-verse, and writes a song about women that is so terribly weird, white, and male that it has me cringing. "You see the flowers in my garden"... oof. "Take me on a magic carpet ride"... no.
There were little glimmers of "Is he talented? Does this work?" and that petered out to more conversations about him as a celebrity. Maybe he needs to RENNER-gotiate his music contract. Eh? Eh?? I'm here all day... seeding your garden.

No comments:
Post a Comment