Friday, September 22, 2023

The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We, Walter


This is an attempt at streaming Mitski while I stream my consciousness at the same time.

First off, let me say, the album has a great name. It's cynical as fuck, and the first two songs intersect nature and industrialization; meeting expectations of cultural pressures versus just being animals in the world. So there's a lot to look forward to in the coming songs...

Well the first song or two is going to take me down a rabbit hole. It's great if someone shits where they're supposed to, but it's so much more fun when someone doesn't. There's this commercial block on Bergen St., between 3rd Ave. and Nevins, where I feel all the dogs get walked and stop to shit. No one complains because it's all commercial warehouses with no storefronts... no NIMBYs in sight... Or they're walking their dog across to this side of the street to shit. Anyway, I walk down this street a lot... it's a big thru-street to get to various establishments; sometimes I park my car there. Well, it's a no-brainer that I'm always looking out for dog shit so I don't step in it. You can't always trust that your nose will pick it up ya know? What's crazy about this, and to tie it back to the single line of the second song, is that one's nose can definitely tell when shit is not dog shit. And the only other shit that that could possibly be on this street that is smelly is human shit. What is it about our ability to smell the difference between dog shit and human shit? Why are NIMBYs shitting alongside their dogs?

The softness of Mitski's compilation is nice. Twangy guitars here, smooth piano melodies there, drawn out vocals with sharp "tees"... And then there are these random lyrics that jar me. Like "and then I puke." I'm not really following the lyrics of the third (or fourth?) song, but this desire to take a job away that causes puking just feels like pregnancy and the desire for the journey to be over. Say hello to your baby for me.

By the next song, I'm a little tired... Save a bird, on a street lamp? What? Mitski must be high, or I am because of my lack of ability to catch what's going on.

Now it's picking up with a little beat in the back. I find this off-putting and doesn't fit... What is going on, Mitski? The song could have crescendoed into something wonderful, but then the song ends... I don't blame Mitski though, I often have a hard time keeping that high energy momentum for too long.

Yeah. this album is okay, but I'd probably give it 2.5 out of 5 pukes. Whether a puke is good or bad doesn't matter... it's just a puke, and with 2.5 it could be either.  I think I'm done with my stream of consciousness for now, but I'm going to continue streaming album this with my eyes closed on the couch. That's the vibe I get from this album, so I'd give another shot when I need a meditation, and I'd be willing to listen to some of Mitski's other work.

Take care RC'ers!

No comments: