Friday, September 8, 2023

Asking for a Ride, Sunny


When this album really hits, it makes me nostalgic for something I didn't even know I forgot about. "Fog Machine" is the prima facie example that made me think I'd gone back 20 or 40 years, and is a win. "Getting into Trouble" is more melody-forward, hits the right mix of punk vs. not, and is a win. Plus, I love Taco Bell, obviously.

When it doesn't hit, it's fine but forgettable, neither offensive nor dear. Take "Pages," for example, with that acoustic bridge to close the album, which makes sense thematically, but maybe not executionally. White Reaper has mashed together their own sound here that works and is just unique enough, and at under 30 minutes in total, with enough meat on the bone, this is a better version of going to listen to your friend's garage rock band jam out Thursday afternoon.

No comments: