The music starts off nice enough. I'm intrigued. I'm relaxed. Mitski's voice is very calming. She's not anything special. She's a bit better than average. And yet I keep listening on, and I'm glad I did.
This is one of those albums where I kept wanting to like it, and I just never got there. I wanted more. I can't even explain what the problem was. All this negativity, and I still enjoyed it.
It made me think: maybe not everything has to be measured by a number. Maybe everything doesn't have to make you "feel" a certain way. And yet we absolutely can be changed in every lyric, every tone, and every beat.
The biggest gripe I had, truthfully, was that I had to keep raising and lowering the volume. It feels like a weird thing to have to do. But it would come out of left field without any way of knowing.
This was a perfect album to show that sometimes if we stick with something, give it the old college try, maybe we can surprise ourselves. Or maybe even an indie artist can change our stars without even trying.

No comments:
Post a Comment