1974
Martin Scorsese
It's Group C's turn. Gathered below are the thoughts and opinions of this week's small group regarding Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. Check them out, and then meet us in the comments! Everyone is invited—Group C members who missed the deadline, other small group members, anyone who has gotten lost on the internet and somehow found themselves here.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Walter
One word could sum up the protagonist in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. This word refers to the deep, nostalgic longing for a place or person that no longer exists, or perhaps never truly did exist. For Alice, this word describes her journey to recapture her childhood living in Monterey, California, a place where she discovered her desire to be a singer, a place where she inevitably was forged by codependence of an angry mother. We don't really learn much about Alice's childhood, especially her mother, but the tone of the initial scene is red with fury and frustration. This tone would continue throughout Alice's life in seeking that role as a singer, a parent, and a lover. Each of these identities reveals Alice's grief and yearning for something irretrievably lost and her search for belonging. Invisibly forcing Alice to move from town to town, taking small time gigs at bars and restaurants, she copes with abusive partners, her unruly son, and financial insecurity through this single word, which I will now reveal is not a common English word, but Welsh—that word is "hiraeth."
GRADE: three — intriguing enough to watch once but didn't have a depth of character or story to deserve a higher rank.
GRADE: three — intriguing enough to watch once but didn't have a depth of character or story to deserve a higher rank.
~~~~~~~~~
Kait
I did not like this movie. It made me uncomfortable, and not in the "I'm growing and learning and facing hard shit" kind of way. More like the "Jesus Christ is she laughing or crying?" kind of way, which I do recognize could be heavily influenced by Ellyn Burstyn also being in Requiem for a Dream. That movie makes me want to peel my skin off, so maybe I projected that here.
I did not like this movie. It made me uncomfortable, and not in the "I'm growing and learning and facing hard shit" kind of way. More like the "Jesus Christ is she laughing or crying?" kind of way, which I do recognize could be heavily influenced by Ellyn Burstyn also being in Requiem for a Dream. That movie makes me want to peel my skin off, so maybe I projected that here.
This movie also made me mad. Why oh why could Alice Hyatt not just stay single, make it to Monterrey with her kid, and be a singer? Why did we have to watch her get abused and bullied and nagged over and over? How in the hell is the movie cover a photo of her and another abusive man as if that's some beautiful love/redemption story for her? He literally hit her kid on his birthday when he was dressed up like a literal cowboy clearly after being influenced by this guy! And for what? Cause the kid said he has shit taste in music? That's how this whole movie ends?! Them all one big happy family?! Barf.
Here's the thing, there's stuff in here that warrants exploration from a woman's perspective since this story follows a woman's journey through it. Things like grief, being a victim of domestic violence, independence, being a parent, asserting boundaries, friendship, misogyny, starting over... but this movie doesn't do that. Alice talks about how she doesn't know how to live without a man, and that's a very real issue and pressure placed upon women. But instead of like grappling with that and leaning more on her awesome friends, she falls right into the arms of this rancher with a serious anger problem who cannot even apologize to her in the diner after hitting her kid on his birthday. YUCK.
I will say that I do think the kid Tommy is an interesting character study in looking at how influenced he is by the men in his life. His dad dies, and he basically steps into his shoes in nagging and bullying his mom. Again, there's something there in looking at the impact of grief and what happens when one parent maybe puts their kid in the dead spouse's now-empty companion/codependent position. But in no way does this movie do that.
Noooo thank you to this one. I'll give it a grade of 1 instead of 0 though because of the weird-ass server who rides motorcycles with her dad, Big Daddy Duke (loved her), Jodie Foster being the cutest tomboy I've ever seen, Tommy being persistent with that awful joke no one understands, and Ellyn Burstyn giving one hell of a performance in a movie that stunk.
~~~~~~~~~~
Maeve
A Scorsese mob movie? No! A Scorsese mom movie!
Man, I was so annoyed last night when I had to sit down and watch this movie that I'd never heard of and really had no interest in seeing. Well, of course, egg on my face—this movie was great! In reality, when has Scorsese failed me? While this movie follows Alice and her twelve-year-old son, who "escape" her humdrum life due to the unfortunate and untimely death of her indifferent husband. Alice has always dreamed of being a singer in Monterey, since the last time she seemed fully happy was that exact circumstance. Now that she's left to make her own decisions, that dream seems to be the only thing she knows she can want. Maybe, just maybe, her husband's death wasn't such a bad thing for Alice.
Alice is 35 years old and finally experiencing independence for the first time. It feels timeless. She makes choices not necessarily in her best interest (lounge singer over a more financially stable position that could move them along to Monterey faster), but she's actually making her own decisions. Yes, at one point she's accidentally sleeping with a married man, which does make them have to move along on their journey. But hey, as I'm sure I've said on this blog a million times, you can only believe what people tell you—how was she supposed to know?! That being said, I support 35-year-old women (yes, my age, completely unrelated) making decisions that seem right at the moment. I also support 35-year-old women having fun, believing in their dreams, spending all their money stupidly (like a son's cowboy costume???), having full breakdowns during work, and falling in love with handsome men who own ranches (temperaments be damned!).
What really struck me was how perfectly this movie nails mundane details: the son's dumbass joke that he repeats to no end and makes no sense, their water fight, pretending how everything is okay when it absolutely is not. It's an intimate look into who Alice is and what she wants.
Not to completely state the obvious, but man oh man, this made me yearn for a time (that I've never experienced) where $50 a week was enough for an open-ended stay at a motel and to support a child. The reckless abandon in which she has a yard sale for her things, packs up necessities, puts her son in the car, and just drives without a real plan (just an eventual "one day" destination) is insane to me. I'm trying to decipher if it's specifically something that feels dated—for example, she can't look up hotels on her route, try and find a job in advance in Monterey, so many unknown variables. Although, it's probably a direct example of her owning her own life, I can't help but to think how many obstacles would be immediately eliminated in the present. Or maybe not. Maybe this would happen exactly as-is, but with inflation pricing. I mean... we all know a six-pack of Hamm's is no longer $1.19, as is shown in an ad on a storefront. Similarly, Ellen Burstyn looks the age, but I can't get over how her haircut and clothing make her look so much older. Granted, that was just how it was in the '70s. But hey, she had Harvey Keitel and Kris Kristofferson endlessly pursuing her, so it worked (this is unrelated to the characters of these men, which I guess does matter, but let me live!).
I do have questions about David just letting his family and kids go... seemingly not really caring.
Blah, blah, blah, it's about the journey not the destination. And I love it.
GRADE: 4 of 5 free $50 shawls
~~~~~~~~~~~
Joe
I needed this Martin Scorsese movie. I didn't even know I needed it before I watched it, or if I did, then I certainly couldn't verbalize it. I acknowledge that he's one of the greatest filmmakers of all time and I didn't need this movie to know that. But I think I just needed to see a Scorsese movie with some feminine energy. The films of his that I have seen up to this point (my thirteenth out of 27, not including concert films) have all had a palpable masculinity to them. It's not the movies themselves, necessarily, but more so the idea that male audiences are going to be less inclined to see their nuances due to that overt masculinity. I tend to keep at length those filmgoers who react to the violent mob epics in the same way that Matthew McConaughey beats his chest and makes grunting monkey noises. Maybe those same male audience members had a muted reaction to Killers of the Flower Moon because the conclusion of the film literally featured Scorsese rebuking them to their faces.
ANYWAY. My point about Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is that it stands retroactively as a sort of outlier in the filmography. Its titular character is female, and Alice takes up the entire screen. It's her movie, and it's a great movie because of it. Ellen Burstyn—who I last saw going insane in Requiem for a Dream—lives this shit. She makes Alice seen and heard. Which is not that easy, in the context of the plot, which basically amounts to: men are fucking heels, and women need strength and courage to make it. Scorsese was asked by Burstyn, when she was deciding whether he'd be the one to direct, what he knew about being a woman, and Scorsese allegedly responded, "Nothing, but I'd like to learn." So this film is a lesson for those of us who do not identify as women.
It's not all cut and dry either. This is typical Scorsese—there is a lesson, but it's messy as hell. I think that a typical movie would make Kris Kristofferson's David a knight in shining armor, but even he succumbs to the underbelly of anger that all men seemed to have in the 1970s. I also think that it's interesting that the "grand romantic gesture" of David telling Alice that he'd move to Monterey with her ultimately falls flat, since they don't move to Monterey. Your typical movie in this vein would end as they drove into the distance, right? Even the thesis (as delivered by Alfred Lutter's Tommy) of "he always said you could fight with somebody and still like him" is a little dicey, since it was most likely said to justify the fighting originally. But in these final lines, it's used to justify the liking, and I think it's a worthy idea.
I was asked the other day "what kind of movies do [I] like?" It's a great question, to broad to answer accurately, but designed to confront and get in response at least some version of the truth. On the spot, what I came up with is that I like movies that hang out with interesting characters. I don't even need anything to happen. Action is not necessary. Dialogue, when on point, is good enough. To compare to last week's movie, I'd rather watch two main character chit chat about life in the outhouse stall for five minutes than watch a stoic character march through various battle sequences. While Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore is less a "talkie" than my absolute favorites typically are, I would classify this as a movie that does more character work than action. Lots of long shots of adult and child talking while mom drives. And when the action does arrive, such as when Harvey Keitel hulks out and breaks glass, it's legitimately shocking.
I've never said that I disliked Martin Scorsese movies. I've only ever said that I was weary of the fact that so many of his films seemed to be appealing to the lowest common denominator, and that gave me pause. Who knew that he's had this ace in the sleeve for over fifty years now? Not me. Because I'm a fucking moron. And Scorsese is a genius.
GRADE: 4.5 pukes out of 5
DISCUSSION POINT: There's been chatter the past two weeks about failures in parenthood, with the child abuse in Mommie Dearest and the strained relationship with a stepchild that ultimately leads to the protagonist's downfall in Barry Lyndon. Do we think Alice is successfully navigating parenthood here? Feels to me like she's doing her best. If she was one of my clients, I'd congratulate her on all her strengths that she displays throughout this movie.
~~~~~~~~~~
Sean G.
Wow, what can I say? I loved so much about this movie. To start it was funny. It made me laugh out loud as much as Goodfellas and even The King of Comedy has—what I think are Scorsese's other funniest movies. Just jam-packed with straight-up jokes and hilarious dialogue. Among some of my favorite lines are:
Alice: I'm not gonna discuss my sex life with you.
Tommy, her eleven-year-old son: Then I'm not gonna tell you about mine.
Alice reads a sign as soon as they enter Tucson: City of Tucson. Winter home of the Cleveland Indians.
Tommy: So far, I hate it.
Flo: I could lay under you, eat fried chicken... and do a crossword puzzle at the same time. That's how much you bother me.
Alice talks about Tommy's foul mouth: I don't know where he gets that language, I really don't.
Tommy: Think real hard. It'll come to you, lady.
Ellen Burstyn and the actor playing her son have fantastic comic timing. It's like they're from a 1930s screwball comedy. Scorsese has a greater knowledge of and love for movies than any other human being, and he's clearly showing his influences and love of screwball comedies here. Alice and her son's hilarious back-and-forths immediately brought to mind Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant in The Philadelphia Story or Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake in Sullivan's Travels. They are so much fun to watch and listen to. If music doesn't ultimately work out for Alice, she and Tommy could hit the road as a comedy duo.
Okay. Before the opening credits even start, we get that beautiful, Saul Bass-designed Warner logo that I wish was still used. And then we see those incredible opening credits. With the dreamy red script on lush, baby blue satin, I believe that Martin Scorsese is basically telling us—all before any action of the movie even begins—that this film is largely going to pay tribute to the work of director Douglas Sirk. Douglas Sirk's themes are on full display in Alice.
Don't know Douglas Sirk? His most influential films were melodramas he made in the 1950s. The opening credits in Alice are like a cousin to those in 1959's Imitation of Life. The two other Sirk movies that I feel Scorsese is pulling from to tell Alice's story are 1959's All That Heaven Allows and 1956's Written on the Wind.
Sirk's characters yearn to be freed from American society's rigid constructs. The mother in All That Heaven Allows loves her children and appreciates the comforts of a quiet suburban life, but she also longs for independence, passion, and a life all her own. In Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Alice's lifelong passion is music and performing, something she learns is far easier to dream of than to make a reality. Before leaving NM, she fantasizes with her neighbor about the idea of leaving everything behind.
Sirk also asks, what makes a "real man?" Is it physical strength, aggression, romance, masculinity? Or emotional maturity, compassion, sensitivity, and respect? Or is it some combination of all of those things, and is that even achievable? In Alice, which of these qualities do David, Ben, and Don posses? What kind of a man does Alice want or need, if she needs one at all?
I VERY HIGHLY RECOMMEND you seek out Douglas Sirk's films; those three in particular. They are accessible, beautiful to look at, incredibly moving—and at times unintentionally very funny. He is a master, and one that Scorsese clearly holds in the highest regard.
The entire cast is wonderful, playing complex and complicated characters. I especially love the scenes between Alice and Flo. I could watch an entire movie consisting of just their conversations sunbathing in the dusty parking lot or in the bathroom stall. Flo is at her most real when she's with Alice—I want to know everything about her. Harvey Keitel is great as a real nasty sonofabitch in sheep's clothing. And I'm now inspired to watch everything that Kris Kristofferson has acted in.
I feel like I've already written too much, but man oh man, that opening scene in Monterey showing Alice as a little girl. Like Wizard of Oz meets Lynch meets a nightmare from the A Nightmare on Elm Street films. And then the wild choice to completely zoom out, leaving the rusty memory and its aspect ration behind for Socorro, New Mexico: 27 Years Later. The stylistic choices Scorsese makes with the camera movement and edits in that first sequence at their home are so much fun, and more visually interesting that most movies being released today. It's Scorsese playing with and developing his style that is so his own. Again, it's just so much fun to watch this.
Martin Scorsese has made 27 narrative features in nearly sixty years, and I understand why his most popular movies have been and will probably always be Goodfellas and Taxi Driver and Raging Bull and The Departed. I would guess that Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore remains unseen by most Scorsese fans, and it's too bad that it seemingly doesn't get the attention it deserves.
This visually interesting, playful, hilarious, complex, and likely ultimately tragic tale (in that Alice probably never makes it to Monterey... but who knows?? Anything can happen) feels like a hidden gem patiently waiting to be found by Scorsese completionists, curious filmgoers, and those of participating in film clubs like this one.
GRADE: 5/5
~~~~~~~~~~
Gloria
This movie was beautifully done. I loved having the opportunity to enter Alice's world for a little while and witness how she navigated her life after her husband died. I'm a big fan of movies where nothing really happens, and we just get to enter someone's world and hang out for a little while—slice of life films. The protagonist was particularly compelling because, like Alice, I am also a 34-(okay, she's 35)-year-old white woman, but our lives are vastly different.
When the film opens on Alice's life, we get pulled into her less-than-happy home. I jotted down some notes while watching the movie, one of the first things I had down was, "'Please keep him' husband." I have met a lot of women who have probably had husbands like Donald in my nursing homes. There were so many times when we'd meet with the wives of patients for discharge planning (or planning for the return home following a short-term rehabilitation stay), and the patient's wives would beg us to keep them long-term—"Please. Keep him." These women's worlds were ruled by men for most of their lives. Now, here they were, in their 70s or 80s. They experienced a few weeks or months of freedom, and they didn't want to return to their previous life. They didn't want to go back to regulating a man's emotions and caring for all his needs. They had a glimpse of what life could be like after so many years of walking on eggshells or trying their best, just to be ignored or talked down to by him. The thought of going back was too much to bear for these women.
This type of relationship was the reality for many women at this time—it still is for some people. These women didn't necessarily have the agency or means to leave their husbands, and they were socialized in a heavily sexist world. They, like Alice, felt like they needed a man around. And legally, they had very little protection. No-fault divorce laws didn't start gaining traction until the 1970s, women needed a male co-signer to get a credit card until 1974, and marital rape was legal until 1993.
But, back to the film. The intimate moments we see of Alice and Donald before his death are heartbreaking. You can see the sorrow in her eyes when she makes his favorite dinner, but he doesn't react. It's painful to watch her try to engage him as he's watching TV in bed; he gives such terse answers, and only gives her some affection when she completely breaks down crying. After her husband dies, we do not see the picture of a grieving widow. I didn't feel sad at all about his death, and we don't really see Alice or her son react strongly to it. The biggest concern is how are they going to survive now. This is when we learn that she has some grit in her. She makes a plan and starts to act on it. Powerlessness and powerfulness are closely intertwined in Alice's character throughout the film.
When I saw Alice sitting at the piano singing "Where or When," I really thought it was foreshadowing that she would be going back to the version of herself she was before marriage—the version we catch a glimpse of in the very theatrical opening scene depicting her as a girl determined to make it. I thought the words were meant to be as if Alice was talking to a young version of herself. I wanted this to be a film about Alice finding herself and falling in love with herself again. But that, unfortunately, wasn't the case.
I appreciated how the film depicted the other important relationships in Alice's life. Both her friendship with her neighbor and friendship with Flo were believable. I also liked her relationship with her son. There is a moment of such tenderness between her and her son near the start of the film when they are in their motel room in bed, and you can hear a couple fighting in a different room. Even though Alice's son is asleep, she covers his ears. And it's kind of heartbreaking. It stood out to me so much that she wanted to protect this boy from seeing any more anger or violence in a domestic setting, maybe stopping him from absorbing that energy and learning that is how men can act. I thought that this might be a turning point for her. However, throughout the film, Alice keeps falling into the same pattern of meeting men who act violently around/towards her or other women.
I don't think we can write off the actions of these men as the norm or acceptability. I know so many wonderful men who do not act like this. But I know that I am looking at these relationships from a very privileged lens of growing up in that stable home, with both of my parents also having grown up in stable homes. I am not someone who has had to work to break a cycle of violence. It's an extreme privilege. It's a privilege I don't take for granted. My sisters and I were also given the tools we needed to never feel like we would need to rely on a man, and had the education needed to pursue careers of our own. Both of these factors have shaped all of my own relationships. I've only ever been with caring and stable partners. I don't associate masculinity with dominance and have never once felt unsafe with any of my sexual or romantic partners. I have never seen a man act firsthand with the type of anger that we see in Alice's partners. I can tell you that if anyone ever acted in that manner around me, I would immediately leave.
I wish she went to Monterey even if she couldn't become a singer. I wish she would have returned to where she was last happy and last felt that familial support. Maybe it's more realistic that she didn't. David is likable and seems to be the best of the men she is involved with (he's also the best looking of the men she's been with—that's neither here nor there, haha), but he's still a man who would hit her child and break a record out of anger. Maybe it was an out of character moment, but it could just be the tip of the iceberg for his own unresolved anger issues. I take pause in calling this a romantic story; it's more a look at a woman's life who can't seem to break out of destructive patterns. I feel bad for Alice through the film. But I also think that if I had been friends with her, there probably wouldn't have been anything I could say that would have changed how she viewed relationships and men.
Favorite lines in the movie: "You look like you've been embalmed." "Don't look back, you'll turn into a pillar of shit." "Sexy for Phoenix."
Score: 3.8/5
GROUP AVERAGE GRADE: 3.55 out of 5
~~~~~~~~~~~
GROUP AVERAGE GRADE: 3.55 out of 5
Okay, see y'all in the comments. Much appreciated!
NEXT TIME: It's prison drama week. Let's start with a more modern take in Brawl in Cell Block 99.

24 comments:
Thanks for joining the discussion. Like last week, I'm gonna try not to clog up the comments right here at the beginning. I'm more interested to hear what else you have to say anyway.
As the days go on, if the discussion continues and you need to find this blog post again, please visit the Film Club landing page! The link for this film now brings you here.
I thought it was interesting to compare the grade averages for each of the three small group movies we've done so far. Alice (3.66), Barry Lyndon (3), and Mommie Dearest (2.88). I know it's mostly a matter of small sample size, and more reviews would push everything closer to the same average, but still! What do we make of this? Was this film the best of the three? Are they just incomparable? Are the group compositions that different?
I don't even know if 3.66 is accurate for this movie. The range was between 1/5 and 5/5. I think that's a good thing! Disagreement is a good thing here. Let's talk about it.
(This is Joe) One through line that I picked up on is that everyone seemed to care deeply about Alice as a character. Specific reactions varied, from pride at setting out on her own, to frustration that she settled for less than the best. I don't think anyone is denying that they wanted the best for this very real character, though. I suppose that is a good combination of script and acting. Ellen Burstyn is sympathetic in this role! She's not perfect, which makes her more relatable.
I don't know what I'm trying to say here. I just think it's interesting how everyone can have the same reaction to this character, but that reaction does not mean the same to everyone in terms of "enjoying the film." Right? Like, Kait found Alice's patterns uncomfortable, and others had more patience for her.
And then there's the idea of being able to "relate" to Alice affecting how we view the movie. I'm glad this isn't one of those all-dude PoYB blog posts. Such a movie requires the feminine perspective. I appreciated those perspective profusely.
I also like the through line of "is this a sad movie or a funny movie?" I know it's both, but it's a good discussion to have. Gloria was on point in mentioning the harrowing reality of married women at the time, Sean was on point mentioning the hilarity of that opening scene, Maeve was on point emphasizing the mundane details of it all, and how they are both sad at times and funny at other times. So what do you think? How would you describe this film? A comedy? A drama? I think we can all agree that it's not a rom-com, right?
For me, it was hard to rate the movie 1) because I’ve never rated a movie before so this was literally my baseline, I tired not to rate it too high so that if I really love something in the future I have room to express that. 2) it was hard for me to rate it as a film for the independent aspects of it that I loved (dialogue, well developed characters) separate from the fact that I was disappointed with the outcome
The outcome would have been less disappointing for me if I didn’t come into the film with the mindset that it was of the genre “Romance/Comedy.” I purposely tried not to read anything about the movie too much before reviewing it, but the genre was impossible to miss. The tag of “romance” really made me think it would be a feel good ending versus a more realistic one. Maybe it was a “feel good” ending for some people, but I just couldn’t get over her choice of partner.
In the film she says, “It was like, you know, my idea of a man: strong and dominating.” And I think that’s still her idea of a man.
(This is Joe, blogger is being annoying today.) Thanks Gloria! I think you're absolutely right in that "grading" movies is an impossible task. How do you grade art? Should art even be graded? And: do the grades even matter? (To answer the last question, no, the grades do not matter.)
I think "being disappointed in the movie" is the best idea here. It's something I've struggled with when trying to determine "is this a good movie or a bad movie." Because there are multiple types of disappointments.
1) You can be disappointed that Alice settled for a guy who might seem "better" on the surface, but ultimately follows some of the same patterns that she keeps getting tripped into.
or
2) You can be disappointed in the movie itself for saying that Alice "settling" for David is actually a great thing, a worthy ending, a picture of Alice finding her happy ending, even though you know in your heart that she deserves better than this.
or even
3) You can be disappointed that the movie is complicated and the filmmakers (Burstyn, Scorsese, et al.) intended it to be complicated, and yet all the bullshit outside of the text—picture on the front of the DVD cover, genre tag, reputation—paints this as something simpler than it is, a romance movie, whereas we know better, having seen the movie in 2025 through progressive eyes, that it's way more nuanced than that.
I think #1 actually makes it a better movie. You feel disappointment for the character and that was the intention of the movie, and so you felt what was intended and you felt it strongly.
#2 means that the movie is flawed, but at least it forces us to examine what the filmmakers' intentions were in making it, which fuels discussion.
#3 is unfortunate but can only serve as motivation to completely restrict yourself from going into a film with any expectations whatsoever.
Hi all, Kait here. As the person who brought the review score way down, I slapped a score of 1 on my review when asking myself “would I recommend this movie to anyone?” And I wouldn’t. I also, as I think we all have touched on, came at this from a very tired 2025 mindset. Tired of watching movies where a woman can’t just be some hot hero of her own story/life and isn’t tethered to a man. I absolutely know this was a different time when the film was made and that of course impacts the actual film. Notwithstanding, I couldn’t help but ask myself was it Alice (the character) that thought she couldn’t survive without a man? Or was it Scorcese and the dude who wrote this film who genuinely believe that and crafted a whole movie around it. All that, didn’t bring me much joy to watch/experience/think about. So it got a 1.
Kait here, great question and I’m struggling to articulate a genre… I think it would’ve been an excellent RomCom if Flo and Alice ended up together. All my gripes aside, I loved the scene where they’re smoking cigs in the bathroom venting and the restaurant is a madhouse with the other server scrambling to keep it together. That was funny. The dialogue was very funny at times as well, but I wouldn’t call it a comedy. Idk if I would call it a drama either tho because I didn’t get the impression that the movie took itself seriously enough. Undecided.
Hi, posting my review here because I fell asleep last night holding my newborn!!
They don't make movies like this anymore. And really they didn't make movies like this for a long time. There feels like there is a small window in the late 60s early 70s where a movie could be made like this, with an up and coming director, and a burgeoning star of an actress, and be about a character over a story.
The closest recent movies made me feel to this one was Anora and The Holdovers, but both of them. although extremely character driven, still feel more beholden to a plot than this. Of course it has a plot that moves it along, but I don't think there is any point for me where there was dramatic tension of "will Alice make it as a singer"
I just thought it was lovely in its naturalness and feeling of peeking in on real people. I thought that an incredible trick that it pulls off is using that natural awkward feeling to hide Kris Kristofferson's awkwardness as a new actor and make it work as almost a strength?
The real revelation is of course Ellen Burstyn, who I had thought was really good in The Exorcist and Requiem for a Dream, but I really do think is extraordinary in this. (Highly recommend watching Gena Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence as a double feature of acting with this, and it came out the same year!!) Burstyn's chemistry with everybody, especially her son, feels like a magic trick. Scorsese is honing his trademark camera work in this, but I think the movie lives and dies with Burstyn's performance. Well earned Oscar (well except for Rowlands. It should have been a tie! Holy shit and Faye Dunaway for Chinatown?! Sometimes they should spread these great performance wins out over years where everyone was a dud. Like give Burstyn her Oscar for this in 1982 or whatever)
Speaking of Scorsese, I love Goodfellas, like a lot, and even if I didn't my wife watched it on repeat one of her maternity leaves as her bizarre calming movie, so I've SEEN Goodfellas a lot. I think it is absolutely remarkable that Scorsese makes this, coming off of his first big hit Mean Streets, to prove to Burstyn and kind of himself, that he wasn't a one trick pony who made movies about male alienation trapped in a hyper violent system. And he crushes this! And then he makes Taxi Driver. And the rest of his career and his legacy will be dominated by alienated males trapped in a hyper violent system.I think Raging Bull and Taxi Driver and Goodfellas are masterpieces. I love Silence and The Irishman and The Aviator. But it is kind of a crime that this movie isn't more widely spoken about when talking about Scorsese.
Last thought is how many movies both feel ahead of their time and behind the times simultaneously?? At the end of the day this is a movie about a woman who feels super progressive and weird and feminist, and yet the entire arc of the movie is her being defined and ultimately choosing her relationships with men. I think it works for the movie but I'm not sure that "woman getting out of her own way and finally picking the man" would be how this would go now. Maybe I'm naive.
Anyway, I loved it, I loved her, and am so happy to have seen it.
also why didn't we get more Harvey Keitel as freaky little cowboys in movies?? I feel robbed.
Favorite moment for me: when the kid opens the door and then slams it on Alice "that's your favorite joke huh. You sure like that one a lot" Also love when she says thats enough and then pours more water on him.
Holy shit how could I forget to mention tomboy Jodie Foster, what a treat. Also it reminded me in a sad "The Florida Project" way of how quickly and easily kids will accept a fucked up situation as normal.
I really appreciated the idea that this movie could have been made without abusive men it. Gloria really hit me with not giving the movie a pass for the time, there were good men who didn't hit kids or women in 1974 too. We can show them. (Maybe we did in Big Daddy Duke). What does that movie look like?
Holy Shit this is what I was looking for and didn't know it. Flo and Alice ending up together. YES
This reminds me that none of us has mentioned the TV series that's based on this movie, Alice, that ran for NINE SEASONS on CBS from the mid-'70s to mid-'80s. I have never seen a second of it nor even heard of it before watching this movie, but I have to assume that it's a straight comedy, right? A comedic sitcom? Interesting that they were able to pull that from this movie and make nine seasons out of it. Like, I doubt there's much domestic violence in Alice, right? (Sidenote: Diane Ladd, who played Flo in this film, also had a similar role as "Belle" in seasons 4 and 5 of the TV show.)
Yo Kait, I hope it didn't seem like anyone was asking you to "justify" your grade. Like I said, it's actually pretty great that we had such a range, and I appreciate opinions that I disagree with almost more than ones I agree with.
I like the idea of the audience's mindset brining a lot to the experience, and it totally makes sense that you'd be turned off by the idea of being shown a time when women were tethered to a man. Because it's exhausting to think about how much work it takes to overcome that and wondering whether it has even been overcome at all in 2025.
Wait, I just thought of something. Does this film pass the Bechdel Test? It wasn't on my mind while watching so I am not definitely sure, but if I had to guess, I'd be inclined to guess no, it does not.
Thanks Frank. You gotta send those first drafts over before you fall asleep next time!!!
I liked your point about it being before and ahead of its time. I don't know if we could call it an "Overton window" (since it's only tangentially related to politics), but I wonder if that's what's at play here. That something revelatory 50 years ago could be seen as out-of-date 50 years later, and that's because of the intervening 50 years.
I think when someone says "that's just how it was back then," I don't think they are trying to excuse the behavior of the characters from that time period, it's more that it's just providing context for the movie.
I mean, that's the conclusion that Alice and Flo come up with right there in that 1974 bathroom stall, right? "This is just the way it is," no "back then" required. They are acknowledging that change should probably happen, and implicitly acknowledging that it's gonna take 50 years or more to move that needle. Which is fucked up, but I credit the movie for giving us a great window into "how it was" for these characters at that time.
I was wondering if I could find the actual version of the joke that Tommy is trying to tell in this movie. I assume it's this one (and that he extends it and also screws it up, which is itself way funnier than the actual joke):
A man wakes up one morning to find a gorilla on his roof
So he looks up the yellow pages and sure enough, there's an ad for "Gorilla Removers". He calls the number, and the gorilla remover says he'll be there in 30 minutes.
The gorilla remover arrives and gets out of his van. He's got a ladder, a baseball bat, a shotgun and a huge, ferocious looking dog.
"What are you going to do?" the homeowner asks.
"I'm going to put up this ladder against the roof, then I'm going to go up there and knock the gorilla off the roof with the bat. When the gorilla falls off, the dog is trained to grab the gorilla's testicles and squeeze. The gorilla will be subdued enough for me to lock him in the cage in the back of the van.", says the gorilla remover and hands him the shotgun.
"What's the shotgun for?" asks the homeowner.
"If the gorilla knocks ME off the roof, shoot the dog."
Kait, I think that's what I struggled with too. It's impossible for me to tell if that decision was a realistic choice by Scorsese-- which I think it could be as she's been socialized to believe she needs a man and associates that with dominance/ violence and she is just freshly on her own. Or was that meant to be a happy ending for her; its why I got hung up on the rom-com genre. Who decided that? The poster of it makes me think that is was intended to be a romantic story
Joe, I think that it does pass the Bechdel Test, that came to my mind when she was talking with Flo in a few scenes (where Flo says "you don't seem to like me" in the diner, and when they are sunbathing) These scenes might talk about men tangentially, (like unbuttoning a blouse to get more tips) but they aren't having a conversation about a man
100% agree on Alice and Flo! For genre, maybe like an "on the road" movie? Is that a real genre? There are definitely a lot of films where people take trips to discover something about themselves or change their lives
I think that it could have been a compelling story with no men in prominent roles at all, haha. Alice was a well developed character. She was likable. I could have watched 2 hours of her just trying to start her life over.
(Kait here) same Gloria! Daddy Duke can stay tho.
(Kait here) I’m so glad you looked this up, Joe. and I really like to think that Tommy royally messed up this joke because that makes it all even funnier. I think Tommy basically paved the way for Macaulay Culkin.
Coincidentally, I just found my DVD collection that includes this film, so I might have to belatedly watch it and leave a comment here... eventually...
Spot on. I loved how multi-dimensional Alice was. She's not "good" or "bad" she's both and everything in between. She's strong and she's meek and she's playful and she's serious and flawed just like a real person and I don't always NEED "real" but I really appreciated that in the writing and the performance here. It's hard to anticipate how she'll react in a certain situation. She's extremely timid around her husband, but then she'll coolly tell a bar owner off for asking her to turn around so he can see her ass. She's loving and works hard to provide for her son, then she'll leave him alone in a motel for hours on end and tell him he's annoying and she's gonna beat him to death. Alice warts and all was a very bold presentation of our protagonist imho.
When I googled "hiraeth," it stated that it means a "deep longing for something, especially one's home." Which is close to how Walter defined it, but with the added word of "home." Which is interesting, because Walter's definition of "the deep, nostalgic longing for a place or person that no longer exists" feels like the same thing in the context of this film. Alice is yearning for home; home no longer exists; she is searching for home, unsure as to whether it ever existed at all. (Sidenote: it is pronounced "HEAR-righth")
Here is my favorite review from Letterboxd (5 stars):
my heart!! a beautiful and brutal and hilarious small story about finding the least offensive abusive asshole in a world so full of them that a "smile sweetie" feels like a gift...dunno if scorsese meant this to be a sweet, quiet tragedy and i don't know that he understands women and their romantic motivations, but miraculously he understands motherhood...tommy telling a bad joke so long and nonsensical that it makes alice cry from exhaustion is real as hell...
Post a Comment