Comedians sit there and nod their heads knowingly at the most hilarious joke they've ever heard, saying "ah, yes, yes, that's a good one." A person who is a musician, I imagine, would do the same for this album. They'd appreciate it on its own merits, regardless if it made them get up out of their seats and start banging around or banging everyone around.
And yet I find myself dancing to this album. But I'm not a music nerd. I just like music. If I were addicted to it, maybe my life would be different.
Who am I kidding? I can't write about anything, anyway. Today is a fucked up day. To be on the precipice of something big, and to have such heaviness in the news every time you look, and then to know the news is not good for my mental health, but then when I try to look away, I find myself being drawn closer, like a magnet.
And to know that there's nothing better than love in the world. Sometimes it's better or easier to be friends with someone. But the prospect of love fuels all of us, and we all crave it, so, so much.
That's the mindset I have, and that's where this album hits me. So it feels irrelevant for me to listen to an album even though I think it's objectively nice and enjoyable and good. Delta Sleep put tons of time into it. They're a good, thoughtful band. But—at least this week—they feel distant and totally disconnected from my life or from anything relevant to my life.
It's too bad, because at some other time in my life, they could have probably become my fifteenth-favorite band. But it will probably never happen, because I listened to them this week. It's possible I'll never want to listen to them again, such has this week poisoned my experience of them. The two sides don't match, and that's all.

No comments:
Post a Comment