What the fuck is math rock? I've been asking myself all week, avoiding looking it up. Does it have something to do with heavy strumming, some pattern in melody, or, uh, I dunno, Fibonacci in the time signature?
Blue Garden has been a great album for a rainy week. I've enjoyed the range of rhythms laid on top of spacey, dreamy melody lines. The lead singer's timbre is fine, not amazing, but works for the mood, and is able to belt memorable lines here and there to hang the aforementioned rhythms on top of. When Delta is really cooking, having fun with long, jazzy, involved, interludes, like parts of "A Casa," "Figure in the Dark," or "The Distance," it's hard not to pay attention.
Ok, I googled math rock, and I would need someone to dumb this article down exponentially for me. Still, I see Japanese math rock as being a prominent thing, and that scans.

No comments:
Post a Comment