Friday, May 9, 2025

Imperfect Cadence, Zach


This is so cute! An album that is meant to make me feel relaxed, happy, springtime, butterflies and daisies, meditation, tea and mugs with adorable little sayings on them! 

Well, guess what? This album makes me mad. This album makes me feel nothing but pure, white-hot rage. 

"Small Mercies" is a terrible name for a song. "The Lows" is so obvious. The self-care talk is so self-aggrandizing and destructive. It's an insult to us as human beings for anyone to put out an album like this.

The world is not a simple place. It's not a place where people can take a stand on a particular issue and then listen to a self-care album and pretend that it's springtime and nothing matters anyway. That the world isn't falling apart. It's not the role of art to paper over the status of the world. But that's exactly what this album is doing, right now.

Maybe ONR. and the Listening Planet should go back to their respective farmhouses and start over?

If a grizzly bear came and attacked the studio that held all the recordings of this album, right before it came out, it would not have been a bad thing. No humans should be inside, of course. No one deserves to be treated violently because this album was made in a specific way. But it's a simple fact that this album needs to be burned or violently mauled by some kind of animal.

Perhaps if the birds that made the sounds used on this album would turn around and peck the album's eyes out, then, THEN the world would return to its rightful equilibrium.

All I'm saying is that we don't deserve nice things in the world right now. We go and get coffee and complain about minor inconveniences but we don't really deserve to complain about such things. We need to SUFFER and be unhappy, all the time. We need to listen to CNN and NPR and Fox News, it doesn't matter, over and over and be miserable and depressed. We don't need a reminder of renewal, of springtime.

Or maybe this album just makes me angry and I don't know why. Or I do know why but I'm not going to be enough of a dick to name the reason why, here, outright.

Because I respect the choices of the people on this blog. I respect the fact that it was selected for RC. I respect the fact that I wasted 30 minutes of my life listening to this album. I respect the fact that some people might like the album.

I'm just saying this album needs to be destroyed from all our collective memories. Forever.

No comments: