I reread this blog post from 10/28/24, which is, to my memory, the last time I wrote about my weight/diet issues on this blog before starting this Accountability posts. I think it was a decent post, and it spoke optimistically, as it should have. The optimism fell short at the time, though, since it took me another six or seven months to finally pull the trigger. Still, I took its lessons to heart—have patience with yourself, even through the downfalls and missteps. Sure, I gained a double-digit number of pounds after writing that fucking thing, but now I'm reversing course. One day, I might slip up and go three months eating Wawa for lunch every single day. If that ever happens, I'll reverse course again. It ain't over till it's over; I'll keep trying till it is.
I read another reddit post that was helpful (I'm not religiously scrolling r/loseit, but more often than not I see something that is mildly relevant). I forget the context, something about losing weight feeling like a challenge because of being hungry all the time, but the person answering was basically like, "hey man, just get through the initial couple weeks, your stomach starts to shrink a little after that, and the hunger isn't that bad." That felt relevant, because I've been feeling less hungry lately. I'm still pretty hungry right before lunch and dinner, just to the point that the food tastes really fucking good. But I'm not thinking about food all the time or feel that constant pang of hunger anymore, which is great, because being hungry sucks!
That sensation, hunger, is separate from the sensation of desire for a sweet, which I still get a lot. Balls of fucking steel dishing out a cookie each to my kids at the end of the night and not dipping my hand back into the cookie jar for myself. There are opportunities for very light sweets though, ones that, unlike the Aldi soft-baked chocolate chip cookies, will not set me on a path of destruction. There are some kid-friendly no-sugar freeze-pops in the freezer that I'll have on occasion that are only 35 calories. I also don't mind eating some prunes every once a in a while. I had room on the calorie budget for both of those things tonight after dinner, even keeping in mind that I'm saving some calories each day to be used on a date night with Pammy this Friday.
Pam, who is starting her own journey as I am writing this, bought new batteries for the scale, so I checked that out, and felt pretty good. Still a lot of work to be done.
3 comments:
Forgot to comment on the other one so will add it here - re plantar fascitis and calf pain, a few recommendations, all the running stores have these spiky little balls you can buy, I had some foot pain a bunch of years ago and that little $10 ball saved my life. Just roll around on it for 2-3 minutes per foot. It will hurt like hell but then you'll literally feel the tissue break up. Make it a practice and it will allow you to at least manage the issue. There's also the rolling stick for calf pain, which also hurts like hell but it's great. To me "The Original Muscle Stick" is the best but you have a lot of options. I don't trust what doctors will tell you on this stuff sometimes lol (I came to an orthopedist once with knee pain from running, he said 'you need to stop running for six months' which is absolutely the wrong advice)
It's more about pain management and managing the creaks and aches in your body than 'solving the problem' or whatever
Dude, thank you so much for all of this! It feels like there's something weird going on with the bottom half of my body, like every day there's something in pain, and it's all kind of random. Today it's a specific pain in my left hip. It'll be gone by tomorrow.
With the fasciitis stuff, it's not as alarming because I've felt it before. I know the stretches to do. But I was (and am) worried about the calf thing because I've just never experienced it before. It's on my left calf, the top of it, every time I bend it at a certain angle, I can feel a "click," like it's shifting in a way that it never used to. The pain was almost unbearable a few days ago. Today, I can feel the click, but it's barely even painful at all.
So I think you're right with the idea of management, and I think you're right in the idea of doing something for my calf beyond just being worried about it and going about exercising as usual and hoping for the best. I'll probably try a rolling stick, or see if there is anything in my household that I can use (Pam, being even older than I am, has a bunch of exercise/stretching-type equipment littered all over the house).
Post a Comment