Friday, May 23, 2025

Blue Garden, Brittany


Overall, I really liked this album from Delta Sleep. To me, it was a lot less math rock-y from their previous albums and a little more grunge. Even on their more "grungy" songs, they still kept a unique rhythm—example here "Figure in the Dark."
 
Joe had said that he found them to be soothing as you were checking them out—and I totally agree. I think Devn Yuceil's voice has that certain... je ne sais quoi, but I find it to be very relaxing. My favorite songs on the album are "A Casa," which I would say captures that math rock style that I think they do so well, and then "Sunchaser," because I love a good slow jam. I keep saying math rock and I don't mean to sound pretentious... but I love when the guitar and drums don't even sound like they fit together and you are wondering how it all comes together, and then BAM.  The addition of one more element comes in and it just works. I think that's very cool. Do I have to rate this album out of 5 stars?  I give it a solid 4!.

Oh! Sorry, one more thought about math rock I just had. Sometimes listening to the rhythm is like... watching your uncoordinated and musically challenged great aunt try to clap to the beat of a song, but make it math rock and it somehow ends up being tied together perfectly. It's wizardry.

No comments: