Friday, May 23, 2025

Blue Garden, Gloria


I was not familiar with Delta Sleep before this album. I loved the combination of complicated time signatures and melodic guitar parts. The intricate math rock rhythms blended seamlessly with the grungier textures and distortion. I have no notes on the musical aspect. That was a 10/10 for me.

Lyrically, Blue Garden examines themes ranging from the broad despair felt over the state of the world, like the occupation of Palestine on "Dawn," to personal introspection on "Sunchaser." There is a lot that I could get into going through the lyrics, but with the constant onslaught of terrible news, I'm not in a mood where writing out my thoughts would be helpful. 

My biggest note is that when I first listened to it, I was distracted by how some of the vocals sat on the music. And I purposefully am saying that the vocals are sitting on the music because they did not seem cohesive—they seemed to detract rather than add to the songs. Again, not the lyrics, but the vocals as an instrument. This grew on me over subsequent listens for most songs, but I still don't like how they blend on "The Distance" and a few other small parts throughout the album. It's a minor criticism, and I probably felt it because I like the musical parts so much, and they distracted me from the instrumentals. 

But all in all, it was a great listen. This album combined chaos and clarity. It's complex and heartfelt. I will be exploring more of Delta Sleep's discography.

No comments: