Welcome to Monday Morning Mixtape, a PoYB Contributor-curated playlist of songs, made just for you at the start of each week.
"This One Time, at Band Camp"
It's Jason Biggs' birthday, so yes, that's right, we're making a mixtape to celebrate the time he FUCKED A PIE!!!!
chosen by Joe
"Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger
from Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone?, 1997
If I made a "Never Seen It" list, American Pie would have been on it. However, as I type this up, I currently have it on. Oh God, it's so painfully awkward. Oh God, I just got to the part where Jason Biggs is fucking a pie. His dad walks in?! His dad is so weirdly cool about it?? His dad talks about masturbation and calls it "stroking the salami"? Also, how old is Stiffler? He does not look like a high school student. And poor Nadia? That's a pretty fucked up thing to do to someone. Also, it's odd to think it's a stereotype somewhere that choir kids are prudish? Three pregnant girls were in choir my freshman year of high school alone. Also, it's kind of wild that Don McLean's song is not on this soundtrack. My general takeaway is that Dazed and Confused is a much better end-of-the-school-year movie, and I should have just rewatched that. —Gloria
"Pecan Pie" by Satanic Surfers
"Pecan Pie" by Satanic Surfers
from Unconsciously Confined, 2002
Pie is an inherently sexual being. So it makes sense that a movie about teenage desire would focus on the luscious treat. Pecan pie is my favorite kind of pie, although it's probably the hardest to have sex with. The title would probably go to lemon meringue, or some other soft variant. But still. I often make the mistake on Thanksgiving of taking too large a slice of pumpkin pie, just because I want it all on that best of American holidays. This is a waste of stomach space. Because a huge slice of pecan pie topped with ice cream after a turkey laden feast is the best thing a person can do for their soul. —Zach
"'Cause the ice melts and then it's like second drink.'" by Eugene Levy
"'Cause the ice melts and then it's like second drink.'" by Eugene Levy
from "Here's to Someone" EP, 2019
Cool song name. Or is it? I, too, could put lots of nouns together and call it a song. Then again, the only song I know how to play on guitar is "Casimir Pulaski Day," very different from any of Eugene Levy's arsenal. Even though I like to pick dark music and write dark poetry, I still feel very optimistic about the future, even as the polar ice cap melts in front of our eyes. —Zach
"Finger Back" by Vampire Weekend
from Modern Vampires of the City, 2013
I think I was mostly confused about how the pie ended up like that. I know it's gonna get fucked up when Jim sticks his penis into the pie, but the end result was that the pie was all chopped and crumbled. I suppose if I had to speculate, I'd say it was because the pie isn't that deep, and so when Jim is fucking the pie, his erect penis was scraping and dragging along the bottom of the pie pan like a push broom, and maybe that's only satisfying for one or two pumps before he has to move to different parts of the pie, and his dick is all over the pie before his dad walks in. But note that the pie is almost vertical. If he's really going about it in the way that I'm speculating here, then I have to imagine those pie guts would be all over the floor. So what, did Jim and Eugene Levy scrape up the scraps from the floor and put them back in the pan? Why? If you're telling your mother that you ate the pie, then why save the scraps? What, so you and your pops can look at them awkwardly? I don't know if this film checks out logically. —Joe
"Devil's Pie" by D'Angelo
from Voodoo, 2000
My entry into the American Pie series was American Pie 2. Which makes sense. 1999 (the first film) was too early for me, as I was in fourth grade. Sixth grade (2001) was the perfect time to sneak in a film that we were probably too young to see. I haven't seen either of these films in forever, besides the pie scene, which exists on YouTube currently in a janky way that's clearly designed to outwit censors (it'll be gone after my linking to it right now jacks up the view count by a dozen views). AP2 did the whole "let's have the best summer" thing, which makes it a formative movie for me. Imagine if I'd seen American Pie first, though. I'd be spending my summers having sex with pies I guess. —Joe
"What's My Age Again?" by blink-182
"What's My Age Again?" by blink-182
from Enema of the State, 1999
Sex comedies from the late '90s and early 2000s always make me think of blink-182. Maybe it's because their singles would usually play over the afternoon school bus's radio. Maybe it would be because I had older cousins with blink posters and who were teenagers (the target demographic) at that time. Anyway, this was the song that made me a fan of blink when I was thirteen years old. Nowadays, my favorite song of theirs is probably "Dammit," but that doesn't make me think of this time period in the same way. —Batts
"Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind
"Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind
from Third Eye Blind, 1997
In my junior year of high school, I was dating someone who was a senior, and he asked me to go to prom. I bought my dress, shoes, and everything, but he was suspended when the tickets were for sale. They sold them in the front office, but the secretaries wouldn't sell me tickets since I wasn't a senior. I was upset, and they told me I could talk to the Vice Principal about it; I think they thought this would make me go away. But I went to speak to her and explained the situation. She told me I needed better taste in men and handed me two tickets. I didn't even pay for them. It was solid advice, but she didn't even know half of it. I wonder what she would have said if I told her that I also would need to drive to prom because my date's license was suspended after he got an underage DUI. —Gloria
"Through the Night" by Stifler
"Through the Night" by Stifler
a single, 2023
I don't remember American Pie well enough to know a lot about Stifler. But I know he's a character. Am I at all in the ballpark to say that he is somewhat like Schmidt from New Girl? I think there's a 50-50 chance that this band named themselves after the American Pie teen; the other 50 says it's the last name of a band member. —Zach
"Sweet Sticky Thing" by Ohio Players
from Honey, 1975
I probably don't even want to rewatch these movies again. Every time I think about American Pie, I think about a brief exchange with Pat in the comment section. He's probably right. There are issues with this thing. It's just tough to separate sometimes, I think, the idea of a piece of work being formative in certain ways but totally toxic in other ways. I think the films capture the magic of being a teenager pretty well. I also speculate that it probably gave way too many teen boys the wrong idea about how to treat women. Maybe making this mixtape is a way of saying bye bye to American Pie. —Joe
"Tribute" by Tenacious D
"Tribute" by Tenacious D
from Tenacious D, 2001
In 2001, Jason Biggs starred in American Pie 2... and Saving Silverman, starring Jack Black of Tenacious D. Or should that be Jack Black of A Minecraft Movie AKA "the movie that might save movie theaters while pissing off most people who aren't Gen Z?" Doesn't matter, I don't know how often it would be apt to lob a Tenacious D song into the field of play, but it feels ultra-relevant, considering we're supposed to celebrate Jason Biggs, while this Jack Black cultural phenomenon is only just winding down. —Batts
"Sex and Magic" by Esther Rose
from You Made It This Far, 2019
It's weird to think about the time in our lives when "losing your virginity" and "being a virgin" and everything related to having sex for the first time was such a core concept for us. Maybe this is the way that American Pie fucked us up the most. Sex can be special but sex can also be totally normal. It doesn't have to be a thing that creates pressure, or worse, ridicule. And it's different for everyone, both the content and the timeline. Sometimes it's magic, and sometimes it's just sex. Also, sometimes it's sticking your penis into a pie. We should work on making sex less taboo so that we can talk about it as if we'd talk about the baseball score. —Joe
"Love Muscle" by SEX-O-RAMA
"Love Muscle" by SEX-O-RAMA
from SEX-O-RAMA II: Classic Adult Film Music, 1998
I can't google on my work computer any deeper than I already have about why this song exists. Took me a hot minute to figure out what songs plays during the infamous pie-fucking scene, mostly because I also couldn't have the YouTube video showing on my work computer screen. But once I got there and cross-referenced with the soundtrack details on IMDB, I'm left wondering... is SEX-O-RAMA legit, or are they a parody, or what? If this song was made in 2025 instead of 1998, I would also be questioning whether it was made by AI. But no, this is a real song that the filmmakers chose for the pie-fucking scene. It was a good choice, even though it's a bad song. —Joe
"The Worm in the Apple" by Ezra Furman & the Harpoons
"The Worm in the Apple" by Ezra Furman & the Harpoons
from Inside the Human Body, 2008
I've been to the movie theaters a few times since 2012, of course, but I can't remember being excited to see a movie in theaters since 2012. I'm not saying that I haven't been exciting while leaving the movies after seen a great fucking movie, I'm talking about anticipating here. I try not to have any expectations at all while entering a theater, so that by necessity strips away excitement prior to. But I couldn't help it in 2012. American Reunion was in theaters. I dragged Pam along to the local movie house, and enjoyed seeing my old friends on screen get together and hang out again, just like me and my old friends were doing in the aftermath of graduating college. I was disappointed, however, to note that no one fucked a pie. Maybe someone does in one of those direct-to-video spin-off sequels? Let me know please. —Joe
NEXT WEEK: "IT'S GONNA BE MAY" — Songs that have the word "may" in their titles, and Justin Timberlake can fuck off (chosen by Batts)

12 comments:
Flagpole Sitta is the perfect opening song for any playlist with that drum riff.
I think other countries do a better job of talking about sex as if it's a normal thing. I would imagine The Netherlands is a country like that - I could be wrong, someone correct me, but yeah. Or Germany, or the Czech Republic. I think the drinking age of 21 doesn't help. We idealize alcohol, and sex, in ways that make them bigger than they really are. The whole American high school college and high school culture - which other non-North American countries don't have in the same way - is a huge contributor.
Genius says "Finger Back" is about an Orthodox Jewish girl falling in love with an Arab falafel shop employee but I don't believe it. It's too stream of consciousy to be about something so simple.
Gloria - I feel like you have an endless arsenal of amazing stories.
The back to back combo of "What's My Age Again?" and "Semi-Charmed Life" hit the nostalgia button pretty hard.
When I think of movies that haven't aged well I always think of Superbad. But in 2007 it was the most hilarious thing I'd ever seen.
The Stifler song is actually pretty good!
SONG ORDER: A-Z with values 1-26, added up the sum of the first three letters and put them in increasing order, tiebreakers are alphabetical.
The only reason that the Harvey Danger album isn't going to be my album to download this week is that it's coming up this summer in A Year of Blind Spots.
Songs can be about whatever the listener wants them to be about. If you don't want "Finger Back" to be about that, that's your prerogative. I, on the other hand, prefer to think of the "finger" in "Finger Back" to be about the finger that Jim sticks into a warm apple pie.
"What's My Age Again?" reminds me of the time in my life when my friends were all turning 23, and inevitably, the Facebook invite's description would ironically contain the lyric "No one likes you when you're 23." And it used to piss me off a lot, because that was a deliberate misreading of the lyric. It's "No one likes you when you're 23 and you act like you're in freshman year, what the hell is wrong with me?" It's self-loathing. It's about making immature decisions and acknowledging that those were the wrong decisions and that you need to grow up. It wasn't just some fucking throwaway line about hating people who are a certain age.
There are certain American cities that are totally unique, and Nashville is one of them. Esther Rose brings me back to Jane's Hideaway or whatever bar my brother took me to when I was half asleep.
Good final song, I don't know if it was all planned to be a well put together playlist in terms of flow but it was in the end.
Agreed about the flow. It's totally arbitrary. I choose the "song order" mechanism before I choose any of my songs. I like it because sometimes it works out really well, and sometimes it's terrible. Maybe with fewer songs, it's easier to get the order right, even randomly.
"While this Jack Black cultural phenomenon is only just winding down." This is an interesting thought. It's probably true. Minecraft was his jump-the-shark moment (or jump-the-chicken). Has anyone ever seen Bernie? That's the only movie that I can think of off the top of my head in which he plays against type, and he was really good in that!
Glad Gloria mentioned the Don McLean song. I would've shut the goddamn blog DOWN if someone had the AUDACITY to attempt to put that PIECE OF SHIT song on this mixtape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also thankful for the Dazed and Confused shoutout.
The blink-182 song is probably the Best Song of the Week.
Not too many albums I'm not already familiar with here. I was leaning Tenacious D, but I think I like this song due to nostalgia only. My tolerance for comedy rock is extremely low. So let's just check out that Eugene Levy EP (even though the band's name is Eugene Levy).
Apparently I have seen “Bernie” but completely forgot that movie existed. In terms of other roles where Jack Black isn’t just playing his comedic persona, he’s also one of the bad guy’s henchmen in the Will Smith movie “Enemy of the State” and was pretty good in Peter Jackson’s “King Kong.”
Thought of this mixtape immediately when I saw this headline.
Post a Comment