Drive like Jehu
1994
What 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die has to say about Yank Crime by Drive like Jehu:
San Diego punk rock big chief John "Speedo" Reis has been responsible for many under-the-radar milestones over the last decade. His best-known band—trumpet-tooting punkabilly soul revue Rocket from the Crypt—did manage to peer over the mainstream barricades in the mid-1990s and still retain a fanatical, tattoo-sporting cult worldwide. Drive like Jehu, who ran concurrent with RFtC, are not widely known outside of the punk underground, but this, their second and last album, is a fearsomely abrasive and inventive fringe-rock artifact that still sets the blood rushing to this day.Yank Crime's scratchy, monochrome cartoon cover (drawn by guitarist / lead shrieker Rick Froberg) recalls those Raymond Pettibon famously created for Black Flag, and says a great deal about the stark, foreboding music within. Fugazi's mix of boiling-point hardcore and spry, unpredictable dynamics is an obvious reference point, as are Reis' beloved Wipers, one of the great lost 1980s art punk bands, whose incredible interplay of guitar melodies really comes to bear here. This translates into the high-velocity slashes and scrapes of "Here Come the Rome Plows" and "Golden Brown" (no relation to the Stranglers song), and the drawling, wrenched repetition of "Luau."Reis has since said that this record was far from a joy to make, largely because of the effort needed to nail its complex twists and turns. Drive like Jehu faded away as a result. He and Froberg currently front the leaner, meaner and equally mesmerizing Hot Snakes, still contributing much to punk's gradual evolution. This record is an unmissable look back at one of its biggest leaps.
What Joe has to say about Yank Crime by Drive like Jehu:
See, now this is what I was talking about. I want my emo music to be harsh and complicated and mysterious. Drive like Jehu get there for me. The vocals are shout-y and off-key, the guitars are loud in the mix and they are twisted up around everything else, the whole thing is kinda shambling and rickety and a little lo-fi, there is endless repetition of mantras I will never understand. I love it. I will never be able to speak intellectually about this kind of music. Instead, I remain a dumb dog slopping that shit up from a big bowl, barking when the bowl is empty, growling for more, letting my dumb little dog brain only know the desire and not the why behind it. Give me more emo music.
Answers are not easy but it could just be that the answer is just "post-hardcore." Seriously, it could be that simple, that I'm looking for a specific subgenre of emo but really it's just a whole different genre, and they're close enough that I get 'em mixed up. But no, because I've listened to post-hardcore albums before and some don't sound anything like this. Some of it sounds like a metal band that got lost in a Hot Topic. This doesn't sound like metal or third-wave mainstream emo at all. I guess it's probably second-wave emo that I'm looking for? The step-up from DC hardcore, emotive elements mixed with harsh sounds. Lots of my favorite emo bands are either from this wave or the fourth wave (which is a descendant of the second wave, a conscious hearkening back to the wave before mall emo wrapped its tentacles around the term "emo" in the public consciousness).
I don't need answers, of course. I just need to listen. And listening to Yank Crimes really does it for me. It gets me to that place where I feel like I'm at the edge of a tall cliff staring into the abyss... but, ya know, in a good way. At one point, I was afraid that Drive like Jehu would be a little too much for me. I'm glad its (somewhat aberrant) placement in 1001 Albums convinced me to finally give it a go. Turns out that this is just what I've always been looking for. It probably helped that I was already slightly familiar with the sounds of the next generation band Hot Snakes. I picked up one of their albums, Jericho Sirens, as it turns out a comeback album for them in 2018. I remember Nate giving me shit for underrating that one. But it still served as a nice backdoor introduction to the timbre of Drive like Jehu.
In fact, this is probably one of the first times that we've run into something from this 1001 Albums book that is significantly out of date. Drive like Jehu's two main dudes were John Reis and Rick Froberg, both of whom later went on to make Hot Snakes, as noted. However, what couldn't have been noted was Froberg's 2023 death. Does this significantly impact my understanding of Yank Crimes? No, not really. But it does add to my understanding of this breed of emo in general. I don't understand, it's mysterious and dark and I can't get a grip, and with death, the mystery becomes permanent. And so, like death, I accept it, and allow the mystery to give meaning.
In fact, this is probably one of the first times that we've run into something from this 1001 Albums book that is significantly out of date. Drive like Jehu's two main dudes were John Reis and Rick Froberg, both of whom later went on to make Hot Snakes, as noted. However, what couldn't have been noted was Froberg's 2023 death. Does this significantly impact my understanding of Yank Crimes? No, not really. But it does add to my understanding of this breed of emo in general. I don't understand, it's mysterious and dark and I can't get a grip, and with death, the mystery becomes permanent. And so, like death, I accept it, and allow the mystery to give meaning.

1 comment:
Do you compute x 10,000
Post a Comment