My favorite Philadelphia Colins song is actually a duet—"Easy Lover" with Philip Bailey. Give it a listen to whoever is reading this. It was my summer jam last year. Every time I have access to a TouchTunes, I have to play it. Such a banger. Anyhow, other than this song, I was only familiar with Phil's soft rock hits featured on the radio show, Delilah on B101 after dark.
Alright, now, on to the subject at hand, his 1981 Face Value album review. Appreciate Philly starting out with a banger. I was afraid this was not a good call because how can you improve on that? Can it get any better? Additionally, I'm wondering if I only appreciate this song because of the movie The Hangover, and Mike Tyson's scene... I might be subject to influence. Damn.
Song 2 feels a bit jazzy and something you actually might hear on Delilah... I'm not into it.
Song 3 sounds like Jackson 5's "I Want You Back." It's a little corny. Now I'm feeling like this is a love song album, which I'm not into.
Song 4 I like a lot. I love the piano in this. It's a good mix of romance and angst. This might be the tied for best song with #1.
Song 5—I could definitely get down with this song. Dancing up a storm. Kudos to this song, no lyrics but still a banger.
Song 8—who hurt you bud?
Song 9—Yacht rock anybody? And I like it a lot.
Song 10—solid song, but getting lazier in my play by play review as I listen live. Sorry Puke on Your Birthday.
Song 11—I have no opinion.
Last song—Whoa, trippy Beatles cover. Bold choice, but very good.
Overall, I feel this is good album, but Phil as a solo artist gets better later on is his career. I give it 6.5/10

No comments:
Post a Comment