2000
Ed Harris
Thanks to all those from Group C who were able to check out this week's Film Club movie and write about it. If you missed the deadline, check out what your peers wrote, and then hop down into the comments!
~~~~~~~~~~
Walter
The depiction of Jackson Pollock in the 2000 movie portrays him as someone who loved nature. His paintings were natural and he thrived in nature, felt serenity in nature. Everyone around him was the opposite of natural—fake and soul sucking through criticism, pomp, and consumerism. Their love for his art only lasted as long as they felt it was novel enough to pontificate over whatever concept they were trying to draw out of him. Perhaps they were jealous, insecure, and ungrateful for creativity. Unfortunate for Pollock, and so many other artists, that this attention drove him into the same darkness of those around him. Except for Lee—she knew how to create a buffer around him for some time. She felt Pollock's creativity in his painting and in his tender soul. And although she bolstered his creations to help them make a living, she never expected much other than Pollock's love, for which he could give naturally as long as consumer culture didn't penetrate the buffer that Lee tried so hard to defend around Pollock.
This movie drew me in more than I expected. Well-written, casted, and directed, I give this a 90% rating, only because I didn't cry. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for a cry, but typically a 100% moving would draw this out of me. Nevertheless, I'm glad this was picked, and recommend it for anyone who struggles with the multitudes of personalities that humans bear when caught up in with one another. This movie reminds us that creativity is nature, and nature is creativity—don't take either for granted.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"How do you know when a painting is finished?" is a question asked in this movie and "how do you make such an interesting and talented person seem boring?" is what I repeatedly asked while watching it. Maybe it's that most of Pollock's life wasn't new information to me, but I kept wanting more. Although, I guess they did a great job of depicting depression. There are several moments where we see Pollock just stop and stare, my guy is going through it. I find biopics hard to rate, since the plot is just someone's life, it can't take risks or narrative spins. There's no way this would have ended with him dying in a car crash with his girlfriend if it wasn't true to history. I don't really know what point I'm trying to make here. Although, I do think the whole movie is perfectly cast.
This movie made me revisit the works of Pollock, which I've always enjoyed. If you haven't seen one of his paintings in person, I'd highly recommend it—pretty much every art museum in NYC has one (although, as shown in the movie, I'm sure Peggy wishes the Guggenheim had exclusivity). It was thrilling in the movie when he finally "found" his style. As someone who has worked for artists in many ways (studio manager, assistant, gallerist), one of the moments that rang the most true was when Jackson finds success and can't stop talking about himself, his work, and how famous he is, making everything about him. To be an artist is to be delusional.
I've been spending a lot of time thinking about the art business. Not just because it is genuinely part of my day-to-day, but I just read this fascinating non-fiction book: Get the Picture by Bianca Bosker. The author begins by stating how she doesn't really "get" art or know how to feel when she's looking at works, whether they're famous works or by grad students. She fully immerses herself in the industry, going to nonstop openings, working for artists as an assistant, working for two types of galleries, talking to blue chip collectors, and eventually working as security at the Guggenheim. I cannot recommend it enough for anyone looking to learn about the industry or also just understand art in a broad sense. Plus, it's the first time I've done the "Leo pointing at the tv screen" meme while reading. You mean everyone does cost analysis relative to travel expenses sheets for the Miami fairs and tries to find room in the margins?!
Not the point at all, and yes, Pollock's life and works are fascinating and made even far more interesting by his shocking death, but I would have loved a movie about de Kooning instead. I prefer his work (more aesthetically captivating to me), and his life is also worthy of an on-screen adaptation. Is it asking too much for them to go back in time and spin off this movie with Val Kilmer reprising his role?
GRADE: 3 out of 5
~~~~~~~~~~
Joe
I told myself that I'd be satisfied if the film spoke to the Why of Jackson Pollock. Even if it was a bad movie, I'd still appreciate the experience if it helped me see why this guy is an artist whose name I know and whose genre I can recall easily. I can close my eyes and visualize the type of painting that Pollock is famous for making. Why?
Pollock answers the question by not answering it. That's about as abstract an explanation as I can give. Pollock says something along the lines of: it comes from within. And so the film does the best job that it can in exploring Pollock's "within," which is basically not very much, since he was the type of person who kept a lot inside. The film ultimately lands on the idea that some people are just unknowable. Pollock also attempts to explain his art as looking at a bed of flowers, and appreciating the beauty without wondering why. I buy it, and I really can look at a painting and appreciate it without thinking about why... but sometimes, I just want to know Why, ya know? I've always wanted to know Why with Jackson Pollock. What makes his work special? I'm not a naysayer, I sincerely want to know.
Are we then supposed to apply the "bed of flowers" argument to Pollock the 2000 film too? I don't think so. I think we probably get a sufficient sense of the Why for this thing, the more I think about it. First, Ed Harris was inspired by Pollock's biography enough to want to make this his passion project, and he producers, directs, and stars. He does all the painting in this film himself! That's enough right there, even without considering how enigmatic a figure Jackson Pollock the real person was. It's not surprising that we are watching a film about "a troubled genius," since those stories play well on screen. I appreciate the fact that the film didn't overdo it, containing that troubled genius to a tight two hours.
And Pollock does the heavy lifting in letting you know that this is Important Art coming from a deep Source of Inspiration. When Pollock has a breakthrough, we hear a jaunty little musical motif alerting us to the fact that something Special is happening here. Pollock doesn't manage to sufficiently explain to me why the paintings themselves are special, but it does a great job in making it feel like they are special anyway.
Here's something that's probably important, due to the non-fictional nature of this thing: Jackson Pollock seemed like an asshole. This seemed like a real and honest depiction. Also something that I felt to be real and true was the scene where he and his wife / fellow abstract painter Lee Krasner discuss the (im)possibility of having a child was unique for this type of film. Krasner splits the difference between two clichés. It's not that she's willing to acquiesce to Pollock's every demand because he's a genius, and it's not that she's a constant impediment on his genius because she cannot handle is unruly behavior. It's more that she acknowledges how important of an artist he is, and puts up with his shit because of that, but only to a point. She doesn't want to cross the line, and a baby would be crossing it. I felt like this was indicative of Pollock painting (sorry) a real and true picture of Pollock. He was complicated, and the film makes him seem rightfully complicated.
But was he a good painter? The film wants you to walk away from this experience thinking that he was, and I certainly don't know enough about abstract expressionism to argue this fact. I also don't think the film was beholden to giving any concrete answers as to Why he's considered a good painter. I traveled outside the text to figure out why, and got a lot of answers. Could be that he was just the first to do it, and that's what makes him important. Could be that he accidentally created paintings that act as fractals, which represent the fractals we see in nature, which is subconsciously soothing to the human eye. Could be that the CIA purposefully elevated Pollock's commercial appeal so as to combat socialist art during the Cold War.
Or it could be that it really is just like a bed of flowers, just like the man said. I appreciate the beauty. I do! Maybe I'm not there completely with paintings, but I'm definitely there with movies. I see a work of art like Pollock and I don't necessarily need the Why. Its meaning comes from within, and is inexplainable.
GRADE: 3.5 pukes out of 5
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kait
There are four scenes in this movie that I keep thinking about. First, when Jeffrey Tambor's character both antagonizes Jackson Pollock and makes an astute observation about Pollock when critiquing one of his paintings for being too blue. Pollock hears the comment, grabs the painting from his country shed, and then stands it in the middle of the living room ready to make it less blue with white paint. But then Pollock pauses and cannot bring himself to do so, even though clearly outraged by the critique and desperate for the validation. Tambor's character says something along the lines of how the only thing sacred to Pollock is his art—not anyone else, not anyone's feelings, just his art. That is the only thing he will not destroy, and man, did that stick with me. Art being the most precious thing to this tortured artist makes sense. It is also painful to watch when those around him treat him as a sacred painting, yet he cannot do the same for anyone. Not even himself! It has me thinking about sacredness, what or who is deemed most dear and what in our lives leads us to protect certain but not all things. How heartbreaking to watch fellow artist and Pollock's wife, Lee Krasner, believe in him, challenge him, support him, LOVE him, and for him to be wholly incapable of reciprocity. Perhaps no love is sacred when one never felt love as a child. Perhaps no love is sacred when you're an asshole. Perhaps love could be sacred but addiction and ego get in the way. Let's just throw it all on a canvas and see what sticks!
The next scene I cannot get out of my head is when Pollock goes berserk on Lee when she says she doesn't want to have a child with him. He pushes and pushes and gets angrier and angrier until finally Lee explodes about how he's so damn needy. There's no way she could even raise a child if she wanted to because all of her time and energy goes to taking care of HIM. And I LOVE when she yelled right back at him making it damn clear that he cannot take and take and take from her. How oblivious can he be to his severe shortcomings and then also have the audacity to demand she birth a child because that's what married people do? Infuriating. I felt every single syllable Lee articulated in that scene. What a powerhouse performance by Marcia Gay Harden, which earned her the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
Third scene I keep thinking about is when Pollock is full on alcoholic again and bursts into the house to lose his mind on Lee, Tambor's character, and I think Tambor's character's wife. Pollock is pissed because everyone isn't obsessed with him anymore, Lee makes a comment about how his work is shit now that he's drinking again and then Pollock and his blind rage hurl unspeakable insults and threats at Lee. She must have been so used to it at that point that at first she barely batted an eye. Tambor's dumb ass and his wife sit there dumbfounded, saying and doing nothing as part of the never ending enabling of Pollock's behavior. Then, when you think it can't get any worse, Pollock tells Lee he'll kill her and she fires back in tears now "you are killing me! you're killing me, you're killing me, you're killing me!" Holy moses. I cried with her in that moment and was absolutely shaken by that line. Loving that man was absolutely killing her. Yet, loving that man was keeping him alive. Time and time again he would have been dead in the water if not for Lee. What a tragedy.
And that brings me to the fourth and final scene where Pollock kills himself and his hot new girlfriend's friend by crashing his car drunk on the side of the road. Cutting out the sound as the two women are screaming as if Pollock had decidedly tuned out of life in that moment was very impactful and made that scene pretty chilling to watch. He demands they return to the car so he can drive them home absolutely wasted, and proceeds swiftly down another literal road of destruction. No one could have stopped him, not even two people in the car screaming at the top of their lungs. Has me wondering what pushed him over the edge that time? The dog he found in the road? Did that dog die? The dog died so he wanted to die? Depression sure is something.
All in all, I did not love the movie, but appreciated it. I had a hard time believing this was the 1940s for some reason, and I also struggled to follow some of the timeline, especially when they would cut out abruptly to a random place when Pollock was waking up from a bender. I did appreciate learning about Pollock's life and learning about Lee Krasner even more so. Loved her haircut and style. I wish she had left Pollock, but love is complicated. Overall rating out of 5, I'd say a 3. Not bad.
~~~~~~~~~~~
GROUP AVERAGE GRADE: 3.5 pukes out of 5
Thanks again, everybody. Hope to see you on the discussion board!
(NEXT TIME: We travel to Paris, Texas, in which we probably find out whether Paris, Texas is a real place or not.)

9 comments:
If we were to begin the discussion with anything that every participant at least touched on, it would probably be about Pollock himself, and what his deal was. I guess it makes sense, since the movie is about Pollock, it's called Pollock, and it's a biopic depicting Pollock's life. So that's a great question to start with. What is Jackson Pollock's deal?
I think it's interesting the varying levels of sympathy that the audience might have for titular character. Is he an asshole? Yes. Is he suffering from depression? Yes. Did he only survive because his wife took care of him? Yes. What he completely unappreciative of all his wife did for him? Yes. Was he a walking tragedy who ultimately couldn't be saved? Yes.
I think the thing that maybe gave me pause was that the film tried to use all this as the de facto "reason" for his art. If we're looking for the Why of "Why is this important art," then it feels like the movie is making the case for the Why being "because he was a complicated, troubled dude." And that doesn't really track for me. It feels like, at least with the art, there's gotta be more than that.
And this doesn't make me dislike the art! The opposite! I appreciate it a lot more after seeing the film. But I think the movie itself is maybe lacking a little bit for this reason.
I wonder if the reason that Harden received the Oscar and Harris didn't was that this was the Academy implicitly siding with Krasner in the movie. I know that's not how the Academy Awards are SUPPOSED to work, but maybe subconsciously it played into it.
I feel the discussion about the art itself is a good one to have here too. We don't have to refer to the movie specifically. It's similar to the discussion we had for Magic Mike about strip clubs. The movie can inform your knowledge, but Film Club doesn't necessarily have to stick to discussions about the movie specifically. It can inspire other discussion.
So tell me why Pollock's art is great. I mentioned to Pam that I watched this film and she immediately said "the fractals, right?" This is something she learned in an art class in college. It matched up with the extracurricular reading that I did after watching Pollock. Fractals in nature, reflected in the art.
Did the movie mention this at all? Please tell me that I'm forgetting something, but I don't think they used that word a single time. Maybe Clem described the art like that at some point?
This is something that Kait mentioned, the scene about Pollock, even in his drunken rage, not being able to destroy the art. Good scene, and I think the scene works well even if you don't like Pollock's art specifically. Like, "a defense of the importance of art" is still a good thing.
But it probably helps to like the art. So give me your take, if you have one. Why should I like it. I do, but why should I?
I remember Lee pushing for the “why” too in a couple of scenes as though she too wanted to get to the bottom of the reason and motivation behind his art. She’d also jump in on interviews and kinda put in more art theory or influences seemingly to give him more credibility? To maybe add to his troubled genius persona?
I got the impression from the movie that Pollock’s art was a bit of a release for him. Just so happened people liked what he did but throughout the movie he was just sitting and contemplating and then BAM, here comes this giant mural. Felt to me like a build up of something inside this mysterious and tortured dude that exploded on a canvas.
I do not recall fractals being mentioned. After reading Maeve’s review mentioning nature, I also don’t recall him being that moved by nature either? I know moving out to the country helped him do his best work, and we see him playing with animals and gardening, but I honestly figured that was him sobering up which was the most important influence on his art at that time.
As for the art itself, meh. I do not know much about art so this is not a studied perspective. I have seen Pollock pieces in person and they are grand. There’s a power to them although that changes for me now after seeing how the sausage is made. Meaning - before I thought pollock like THREW the paint at the canvas. The movie showed it was more of a techniqued drip on the floor. It’s more poetic than the forceful throw I envisioned. There’s more softness to it, so I hope to see a piece in person again too see if the piece speaks differently to me this go round.
If anything, the fact that there is a technique but he doesn't (or couldn't) explain the technique means that he was naturally talented. I meant to link to this video (four minutes, very watchable) that features a physicist who made a machine that mimicked the style, and it's cool to witness.
That's a good point, with Lee adding to it in places where Pollock couldn't. I think this speaks to a general theory that I don't know enough about art to speak to, and it kinda seems to pessimistic to me anyway—that good art is "important" only when people in power (art critics, rich people, some combo of the two) decide to say that it is important. No one cared until Time magazine said that people should care. Then a lot of people cared. Then people stopped caring because art critics argued there were better artists now. I believe that the artist is important, but only because this movie is telling me he is important; I don't know if I'd understand it otherwise.
And if we consider it thru that lens, then Pollock is a bit of a victim to the whims of these critics, right? There’s even times in the movie where he seems to resent Lee for trying to put him in a box so to speak when he’s just trying to paint. I imagine that’s got to be pretty tough to be beholden to critics for money, cause your stuff has to sell, AND to like validate your existence. I matter because these people say I matter. And as I type that I’m like, well damn is that the real tragedy of Pollock? Does he on his own, no say from anyone else, think he matters? That his art is good?
I think so? He seems to believe in it and himself otherwise why keep going? But definitely didn’t get confidence vibes from him. More so plain ego.
I just watched that video and that is pretty cool. Also very neat that you can zoom in and out of the paintings and it looks the same, I didn’t quite realize that. My impression after seeing the movie is yeah, homeboy was naturally talented and made some cool shit. I did not get the impression he looked at nature and tried to emulate the tree branches / fractals through a drip technique.
This line of thinking feels like it puts one particular scene in a different light—the scene where he's talking about his media coverage and the one family member is like "you care more about Time fucking magazine than you're own fucking family?!" I cringed during that scene because anyone lacking humility always makes me cringe pretty hard. HOWEVER, this is the first and probably only time period in the whole movie, and his whole life too, when he's "the star." He's full of himself but he also just doesn't know how to regulate. He's never received such praise before. His mother just straight up ignores him; he wasn't raised in a way that he was taught how to take praise in an appropriate way. He doesn't know what humility is—his whole world has been either failure or self-deprecation.
It feels like we're on the same page here, and if there is one place that we are really on the same page, it's that this is one sad fucking dude.
Post a Comment