I searched on google images for "ought," and this was the fifth result. The second result was the band. The first, third, and fourth results were pictures of text. This is a still shot from a twelve-second video of this lady teaching us how to pronounce "ought" from a dictionary website. She does a great job. I think she might be British? You can parse that one out for yourself. It reminds me of this friend I used to have back in the day who had a YouTube channel in which she would teach you how to do dirty sign language. Like she would demonstrate how to say "eating ass" in ASL. The only problem was that a lot of deaf people (she was not deaf) would comment and say that none of the sign language was correct and that she was making a mockery of their language and that she was going to burn in hell. I don't know if there was ever any fallout from all that. The YouTube channel doesn't exist anymore. Anyways... what did you think about Sun Coming Down by Ought? And the reviews? Did we have a fun week, or nah?
Actually let's try something to generate some discussion.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK: What was one thing that someone said in their review that made you hear Ought a little differently?

3 comments:
I think the thing that made me think about Ought in a different way was the opinion that "this is like Talking Heads." I'm not usually good at making connections like that. I can see the through line now, but never in a million years would've thought about Talking Heads while listening to this otherwise. Two unique lead vocals for each band, neither of them anything alike.
Male energy this week, an all-male Record Club squished between two boys book club meetings. Is Ought a masculine band? Or was it just coincidence regarding who wrote reviews this week? (Is there even such thing as a "masculine band"?)
What's everybody up to this weekend? I'm attempting to bring the children to the zoo this morning by myself (I don't have high hopes for a good time, but it'll get us out of the house at least). Going to a theater production in the woods with Pammy tonight. And then I'm seeing some of you mopes tomorrow morning.
Post a Comment