Welcome to Monday Morning Mixtape, a PoYB Contributor-curated playlist of songs, made just for you at the start of each week.
"Hopefully No One Has Chosen the Macarena for This Mixtape, Because I'll Do Something Drastic If They Have"
Songs we'll make sure to save for Mexican Independence Day, which is celebrated on September 16th every year
chosen by Joe
"Qué Onda Guero" by Beck
from Guero, 2005
I associate Beck with the feeling that I wish other people like this thing as much I like this thing. Don't get me wrong, things like the Grammys and WXPN like Beck, but that doesn't make him cool. In some circles, it could mean the opposite. I've just been impressed the man has succeeding in making fun pop songs disguised in other genres my whole life. The Guero album and this jam in particular are such examples. Won't you sing along with me? —Sam
"Kiss from a Rose" by Seal
from Seal, 1994
Storytime: It was May 5, 2017. Sam and Nate came to Highland Park to hang with me. We got very drunk at my apartment. I had been invited to a Cinco de Mayo party hosted by someone I knew in the local running club. The three of us walked in and took over the party. I don't know which of us made everyone else start singing karaoke, but we did, and I think this is one of the songs we sang. I'm not sure. I don't remember much. At some point we went back home and passed out. In the middle of the night, I was woken up by me throwing up on my own comforter, which means I woke up in my own vomit. No, this didn't happen at the Shore leading up to New Year's 2012. I threw that comforter out after I woke up super early to drive Nate and Sam back to the train station. The next day was awful, just absolute hangover death. I think that's the last time I got that drunk. If you get that drunk, though, Nate and Sam are the people to do it with, as I'm sure this blog's readers can attest. —Zach
"Yo Tengo La Luz" by Hijas del Sol
from Colores del Amor, 2003
This one is in honor of all the Americans celebrating Cinco de Mayo who don't know a thing about the holiday. Who play songs in Spanish with reckless abandon, regardless of where they're from. Did you know the smallest Spanish-speaking country is Equitorial Guinea? Hijas del Sol's members are from there and sing in Spanish. Seems good enough to play at a party, anywhere, on May 5, with large hats and margaritas and solo cups. If it gets us all to listen to more music from Equitorial Guinea, I'm all for it. Side note: I like this bit that Joe has invented. —Zach
"Mexican Divorce" by the Drifters
from Save the Last Dance for Me, 1962
Ahhh yes, nothing says summer like the sweet sounds of Ben E. King drifting (ha) over the radio airwaves. I sit on a floatie with a cool drink in my hand, lazily floating around the pool along with the breeze, listening to the Drif—CRASH joe joe i got here as fast as i could, plz tell me yr not gonna do all songs today that just have the word 'mexican' in them, plz, cmon dude, thats so lazy, plz, no —Joe
from On the Impossible Past, 2012
On their landmark 2012 album On the Impossible Past, the Menzingers finally face the terror that eventually comes for us all: growing up. It's so tough to imagine it, though, when you're young. In this way, we can find such strong empathy with this band, and they go kicking and screaming into adulthood. There's the eighth track, whic—BANG BANG BANG open the goddamn door, joe, plz, i know yr in there!!!! look, it's okay, fine, i take it back, i didn't mean to be so mean earlier, i understand that maybe yr taking the easy road and just doing a simple title search on yr ipod n these are the songs you came up with, songs with mexican in there title, may b you didnt want to be insensitive and pick obvious songs in spanish or whatever, i dont kno, just let me in plz, lets talk —Joe
"Avenida Revolucion" by Chickenfoot
from Chickenfoot, 2009
Does anyone remember Chickenfoot? They were a supergroup created by former Van Halen members Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony, guitarist Joe Satriani, and Red Hot Chili Pepper's drummer / Will Ferrell look-a-like Chad Smith. They ended up mostly just sounding like Hagar-era Van Halen, but this song made an impression. I honestly wasn't sure if I should submit this song since its lyrics seem potentially iffy in today's political climate. I think the song is sympathetic to Mexican immigrants (the song was written at the tail end of the Bush administration in 2008), but it has a dark tone and is definitely not "celebratory" of Mexico. I originally liked the tune of the song, listening to it while not paying attention to the lyrics. In all sincerity, I understand if this song is a "skip" for most listeners. I just had an urge to mention this shiny object of a mish-mashed classic rock band. That said, this adds to the discussion instead of being a poor pick. —Batts
"Mexican Guitars" by the Menzingersfrom On the Impossible Past, 2012
On their landmark 2012 album On the Impossible Past, the Menzingers finally face the terror that eventually comes for us all: growing up. It's so tough to imagine it, though, when you're young. In this way, we can find such strong empathy with this band, and they go kicking and screaming into adulthood. There's the eighth track, whic—BANG BANG BANG open the goddamn door, joe, plz, i know yr in there!!!! look, it's okay, fine, i take it back, i didn't mean to be so mean earlier, i understand that maybe yr taking the easy road and just doing a simple title search on yr ipod n these are the songs you came up with, songs with mexican in there title, may b you didnt want to be insensitive and pick obvious songs in spanish or whatever, i dont kno, just let me in plz, lets talk —Joe
"Mexican Coke" by Wooden Wand
from Clipper Ship, 2017
I met up with a friend at Solar Myth this past week to get a drink and browse records. I randomly picked up the album Clipper Ship by Wooden Wand. The front of the record described the album as "spooky and spooked post-modern, psychedelic folk." Wow, what a description, I was sold. When I put it on the next day, I was sort of let down, as it was a normal folk/Americana sound. It's good, but I thought "folk" would be the least significant word in that description when it was the most. —Gloria
"Caribe" by Alice True Colors
a single, 2014
a single, 2014
Another band from Mexico, found by searching "best Mexican indie bands" and picking something from a Twitter thread. Fascinating that the most songs I've ever picked for this prompt is for a prompt I know almost nothing about. Or maybe my boss is just away for the next two days and I have no incentive to do any work at all. This week we're going to Georgia (the country) with work, and I plan on taking advantage of all the free things they give us. I hope I eat some dumplings too. Every country has some equivalent of a stuffed dumping, and off the top of my head, I don't know what Mexico's is. OK, now I googled it. If anyone knows it without searching, well, good on you. —Zach
"Mala Fama" by Danna Paola
a single, 2023
Let's pick an actual Mexican artist for this prompt. This song is super catchy, and I could dance to it or sit in a dark booth and listen to it. It helps me to know that there are tons of things in this world that I have never experienced or will never experience. I will probably never be an expert in Mexican music. Even so, my life is better for knowing this song. —Zach
"Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)" by the Offspring
from Americana, 1998
I felt immense jealousy when my friend Robert got a copy of Americana before I did. Years before me, really. The idea of this song, which I think is ironically counting in Spanish, appearing on something lambasting what it means to call something "American" was certainly lost on me. Instead, I only wanted to also be viewed in high regard like the protagonist of this song and my friend by association for owning this record. Much later, upon getting and listening to the record, I realize there were no winners here. Not even the Offspring, as a lot of the tunes are kind of lame. The kids aren't all right. —Sam
"Malagueña" by Tino Contreras
a single, 1962
Tino Contreras is the father of Mexican jazz. I actually just made that statement up, but you'd believe it after hearing even just one or two of his compositions. He has this beautiful way of blending jazz with traditional Latin music for an exciting and fun sound. We played a song called "Malagueña" in high school marching band that was different from this song. Apparently the term "malagueña" refers to a style of Spanish folk tunes and flamenco style of dancing originating in Málaga. —Gloria
"Juan de Dios" by Maréh & GONZA SILVA"Mexican Seafood" by Nirvana
from Incesticide, 1992
Fame was hard on Kurt Cobain. We know this already, not even just because of the gruesome way that it all concluded. He was pretty upfront about how much he hated being famous. After Nevermind hit the payload, Cobain wanted to take it easy and not release any new music for a couple years, but the execs got all itchy and decided to go ahead and release a rarities compilation, some songs the band had made and scattered on a couple EPs and whatnot. Incesticide was a heavy album. There's a song about—BOOOOM hey man hey, plz, just listen 2 me for a sec, ok, it's real easy to just write about actual mexican songs, drop some heritage knowledge, inform the readers about mexican independence day, it aint that hrd, y the FUCK r u wasiting timet pullgn bullshtie likbthis plz stp —Joe
a single, 2024
Colima is the 100th-largest city in Mexico. One artist that's from Colima is apparently named Joan de Dios Magdalena. I couldn't find any of his music, so we'll have to settle for an actual song called "Juan de Dios" by a Colombian artist. The further I get into this prompt, the more it feels like a celebrity interview on Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!. This sounds like a song that would have been featured on the TV show Friday Night Lights if the words were in English. —Zach
"Mexican Graffiti" by Downtown Struts
from Victoria!, 2013
Downtown Struts are from the blog. Our dearly departed brother Gilson (jk maybe he'll be back someday to write his Lou Bega review) left this for me as a parting gift at the end of 2024, a fantastic and apparently forgotten album called Victoria!, exclamation point required but also earned. It lives on, here in this space. I can't help but get excited whenever I hear those gui—BAM how do u like it POP how do you like it WHACK ima keep hitting u until you STAHP this shit right now joe, serously, hav sum fukin rspct 4 da fuckin HOLIDAU it's may 5, were celebrate the mex victory ovr french napoleone forces, get it RITE, n ur jsut psending it sittn here write songs with jsut the countrys name inteh title, its studip and i tfucking HATE —Joe
"Mexican Wine" by Fountains of Wayne
from Welcome Interstate Managers, 2003
Fountains of Wa—NO. That is ENOUGH. Joe. Get your shit together.
I can't help it. This was kind of intimidating.
How so? It's really not that hard. Just find some songs that speak to Mexico's rich heritage.
What, this Fountains of Wayne song doesn't do that? The wine is Mexican. It's right there in the title.
Come on now, Joe. This is the "Stacy's Mom" guys. It's fun music to listen to but this isn't music that you could possibly take seriously.
I'm choosing to take it seriously.
No you're not. Look at the fucking blurb you're writing right now. Fucking pathetic.
At least everything you're saying is spelled correctly, I made sure of that this time around.
But it's still meaningless. And kind of insulting?
Is it, though? Don't most Americans generally not take May 5th seriously? It's a legitimate Mexican holiday but here in this country it's basically Margarita Day?
Oh, so now you're roping yourself in with "most Americans"? You know most Americans were okay with trump becoming president again, right?
You're twisting my words. What I'm trying to say is that I observe the people around me, and don't see anyone acknowledging the idea that May 5th is anything other than another excuse to party, and so I'm trying to make a POINT about that, lampoon it in some way.
You're twisting my words. What I'm trying to say is that I observe the people around me, and don't see anyone acknowledging the idea that May 5th is anything other than another excuse to party, and so I'm trying to make a POINT about that, lampoon it in some way.
By choosing songs that have very little to do with Mexico and nothing to do with the holiday for which we are composing a mixtape?
Yes.
I don't see it. —Joe
NEXT WEEK: "This One Time, at Band Camp" — It's Jason Biggs' birthday, so yes, that's right, we're making a mixtape to celebrate the time he FUCKED A PIE!!!! (chosen by Joe)

16 comments:
Thanks for being here this morning, friends.
The song order is: alphabetical by the fifth-to-last letter in the artist's name, tiebreaker goes fourth-to-last letter, then third-to-last. Two artists didn't have five letters in their name, so they went first.
I kinda liked "Avenida Revolucion." It's not subtle, but does a band like Chickenfoot need to be subtle? Probably not. Is it convincing anyone to reevaluate their political stance on immigration? Also probably not. But I can't knock Chickenfoot for trying.
Also thought "Mexican Coke" was kinda good. I'm more enthralled at the idea of buying an album "sound unheard" from a record store (or "record store," whatever Solar Myth describes itself as). Not many people do that anymore. No one takes risks! Cheers to Gloria for taking the risk and attempting to find something that blows her away (even if Wooden Wand didn't end up doing that).
I appreciate Zach clarifying that some of his picks are straight from the google machine. I actually think that's a helpful way to go about contributing to the mixtape. Keeps things fresh, opens it up for new discoveries. Also because I'm assuming that's how we got that song from ballboy last week, and I've been listening to that album since, and it's treating me really well. Sounds like a good mix of Belle and Sebastian and Neutral Milk Hotel. Randomly choosing music giveth (ballboy) and it taketh away (Wooden Wand). The act of randomly choosing is worth it for when it works out, though.
"Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)":
— an inspired choice for this mixtape
— unquestionably one of the worst songs of all time
I appreciated this mixtape for being half "generic Latin-flavored music" and half "songs with lyrical references to the Spanish language." I think it worked terribly and I really enjoyed listening to it.
The drunk Chicago story convinced me that "Kissed from a Rose" was the BEST SONG OF THE WEEK.
Sam was convincing re: Beck, so Guero is the ALBUM I'M DOWNLOADING THIS WEEK. I'm on record saying that some Beck is very good and some Beck is iffy, but this song was close enough sounding to my fav Beck album (Midnite Vultures) that I'll give it a go.
Yes that's exactly how you got Ballboy (and tons of picks for this initiative, in fact). Also even though I've had my fair share of traumatic time in Illinois the Highland Park story happened in the great state of NEW JERSEY. "Kiss from a Rose" deserves that title, we'll still be listening to it in 2094.
Google did me dirty! There is more than one Highland Park, and I don't know ANY of them! Until now.
At some point Joe explained his idea for this as “I want someone to be able to look at the songs and guess the theme” and I think a mostly good job of that has been done.
To say I’m looking forward to whether I can guess the fucked a pie theme for next week just by looking at the songs is an understatement.
Now I'm curious - Which do you consider the worse song: "Bohemian Rhapsody" or "Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)"?
The Offspring sound like the Beatles when compared to Queen.
Zach, good Google finds! I saved the songs from Alice in True Colors, Hijas del Sol, and Danna Paola. I google everything else in my life but somehow don’t think to do it for picking mixtape songs
Joe, I’ve gotten some great things by album art vibes and descriptions only! Solar Myth is where Boot & Saddle was. It’s mainly a café, amaro/wine bar and sometimes a venue, but they have a small selection of records there too— so they probably would use quotes for “record store” too. I like the Wooden Wand album; it’s just not spooky, post modern, or psychedelic
I like jazz enough that I'm glad Solar Myth exists, but I don't like jazz enough to travel to South Philly to visit Solar Myth. (Though upcoming RC artist Marshall Allen will be there two days before RC covers his newest album / two days before his 101st birthday.)
Gilson hasn't been on the blog in forever because he's been busy FUCKING PIES.
I had forgotten that the party was Cinco de Mayo themed. I certainly remember this song playing (as well as “Sexy Back” and “Steal My Sunshine” by LEN). Nate and I were thoroughly convinced we could control that party, and we had those Rutgers runners eating out of our salsa stained hands. I also believe we left to go to a Mexican bar, which was the wrong decision on many levels. I was unaware the mas cervesa had such a negative impact on you, Zach. -Sam
Post a Comment