I could have looked up what "delta sleep waves" were, but instead, I just listened to the music. What did you think of this album? What did you think of the other reviews? And can anyone explain to me what delta sleep waves are so that I don't have to see google's stupid AI shit at the top of my search?
20 comments:
Good to see I wasn't going crazy with not really seeing much here besides some good tunes. I think that's okay sometimes. Not every album has to have multiple layers. Sometimes it can just be good.
I accidentally got RC captain Brittany's review up an hour late, so check that out if you rushed to Puke on Your Birthday this morning and read the reviews during the 7 o'clock hour.
What I usually do when I need some guidance on what a genre is is google "[genre name] rym" and go to the RateYourMusic page on that genre. They are always pretty extensive and helpful. Here's the one for math rock (you have to click "read more" to get the full story).
Thanks for this, it was helpful both in specific and as a general tool.
Though I still find this leap to 'math' to be a logical jump ("a sense of rhythmic variety and complexity that was claimed by many critics to sound almost mathematical, eventually being coined "math rock"."). It sounds mathematical? Does my morning bread taste philosophical?
Sometimes RC is just about throwing on some chill tunes
Nobody diagnosed this better than Zach, who correctly identified this as "someone's fifteenth favorite band." That's nails right there.
Your bread doesn't takes philosophical? Guess I'm just built different.
We're assuming that Anonymous is Nate, right? No else is bailing the zone in between "caring enough to comment a lot" and "not caring enough to sign their name."
What did Delta Sleep get on the math portion of their SATs is what I wanna know
As someone who used to listen to a lot of different binaural beats, (I can hear the albums start “ Brain sync, a sound approach to conscious evolution.”) Delta waves are dreamless, deep sleep waves. They are the most restorative.
Zach here - question for Gloria, can you define what “occupation of Palestine” means in your review?
Hey, Zach. I was googling the band and lyrics because I couldn’t make out what they were saying on most tracks. This is a video made by Delta Sleep using archival footage from Palestine:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8xkw7c
I honestly am not trying to open up political discussions on this album but it was mentioned in a few places so I thought it would be worth noting. This is one of the reviews I remember reading: https://swimintothesound.com/blog/2024/10/11/delta-sleep-blue-garden-album-review
I knew I could count on someone from this crew being my google this morning, thank you! Not much delta sleep for you during that dream journal project, eh?
Fair enough. I get that. The phrase “occupation of Palestine” can mean a lot of different things so just wanted to highlight it. Does it mean “Israeli occupation of the West Bank” from 1967 onward? If so I think that’s a legitimate conversation to have, and in my opinion a potentially legitimate way to describe the situation, even though not everyone would agree that it constitutes an ”occupation.” However, if the phrase “occupation of Palestine” refers to anything pre-1967 - i.e. from the founding of the state in 1948 and onward - then the phrase becomes significantly more problematic. Using it to refer to 1948 and onward effectively denies Israel’s legitimacy as a country that exists in the world. It denies Israel’s right to exist. And the international community recognizes Israel’s right to exist, even if much of the international community also believes that Israel’s post-1967 borders (the parts that include the West Bank) constitute an occupation. Saying that Israel’s borders from 1948 and onward constitute “an occupation of Palestine” is similar to saying that the US’s borders from 1776 onward constitute an “occupation of Turtle Island.” Which some do say and believe, but it is not an opinion consistent with the way the international community views the US today.
Not speaking for Gloria, only myself here. But my interpretation of her review, as I saw it, was that she wasn't stating the meaning of "Dawn" by herself, but instead directly referring to the meaning of "Dawn" as Delta Sleep themselves would describe. And I think it's pretty clear that Delta Sleep would use the phrase "occupation of Palestine" and that they would be directly referring to the current, present-day situation that is happening in Palestine.
The way to not make it political is to put the impetus of the meaning on the band themselves, which is what Gloria did. If there is an issue with the phrase, then it should be with the album Blue Garden, not a review of the album Blue Garden.
I never said I had any issue with Gloria’s review, Joe. I was trying to clarify a phrase used in the review.
“They would be referring to the current present-day situation happening in Palestine” - I would call on you, Joe, not the band (you used the phrase here) to define your terms then. What is Palestine? Can you define it for me, specifically, in terms of the land we are talking about? Are we talking 1948 borders? 1967 borders? Bethlehem? Or Tel Aviv? Saying “the current situation” is vague. It’s not clear what it means.
That's fair, I'll clarify what I meant.
I cannot define borders or name years. I would absolutely defer to you for that. You sincerely seem really knowledgeable about the history of the area and the conflict, and I wouldn't presume to know better than you do. Especially since you live there, and your life is currently being affected by it, right now.
I specific used the words "current" and "present-day" because I am referring to specifically the deaths that have occurred in the past ~nineteen months, from October 7, 2023 until now. Like I did the other day, I have again visited this Wikipedia page to make sure I didn't have the timeline wrong.
And I specific referred to this time period because *my assumption* is that Delta Sleep are working off that same time period. I don't think they made that video for "Dawn" and were thinking about the way the borders were drawn in 1948. I'm assuming that they were referring to the Palestinian deaths that have occurred since October 7, 2023.
(Very cautiously using "assumptions" here, because I have never spoken to Delta Sleep and can't know their intentions for sure. I am assuming their intentions based on evidence that they have provided. If I'm told any differently, like say they really are making the video for "Dawn" and referring to the entirety of the Middle East conflict through the centuries, then I'm absolutely open to that new information and will change my thoughts accordingly.)
I just want to say that I sincerely appreciate the dialogue of "how you phrase things matters." And how a few words can really impact how words are received and interpreted. It's a great reminder especially when we all have different knowledge bases, experiences, and perspectives. Thanks for taking the time to draw attention to it and write that out explanation
Given that, the Delta Sleep video footage is take from 1967 to 2024 and calls for a cease fire from Israel. This is not my interpretation of the song, but rather what I found on a very quick google search
Haha, dreams are theta waves. Once I'm done classes for the quarter get ready for a new blog mini-series column as I annotate the best ones: "A Playlist, a BJ, and the Pope: What Can We Learn from Precognitive Dreams?" *
*Still working on the title
Thanks to both of you. There's so much more here and we could spend all day talking about this and I have so much to say but I'm going to leave it here. Totally agree that 'how you phrase things' really makes all the difference and that's definitely something I'll be taking with me.
It is helpful to know that Delta Sleep was likely referring to a post-'67 reality - it does make a difference for me.
Post a Comment