An alternate google image search went punny today, which is fine. I'd honestly prefer this than
Blonde Shell, the short-lived original Netflix series from 2019 featuring some impeccably-eyebrowed woman whose name I can't quite recall. We're here talking about the album
If You Asked for a Picture! Let's know what you think! How were the reviews today? Go ahead and chat about it.
7 comments:
Interesting week. It felt like mostly everyone liked it but was reserved in their praise. I think Gloria probably got the closest to what was going on here when she said that we wouldn't be so reserved with a reggae album. Credit to Blondshell for trying to do something that a lot of people already do and still doing it well.
This is not the first time we've heard Tom's "this needs more than one week" argument. And this will not be the first time you hear my take on it: I agree with the overall sentiment that music needs longer than this to really make an impact, but I also think that the way Record Club boxes you with only one week (less than a week, technically) has a way of pushing out interesting opinions that might get sanded down with more time. Keep listening to Blondshell after today if that's your thing!!
The question of artists being privileged is such an interesting one, and I'm glad Zach brought it up. (Interestingly enough, the time that I touched on the subject was for the last RC album that Tom chose.) It'll be interesting to see how the question changes as we get deeper and deeper into our capitalistic hellscape and a higher and higher percentage of young upstart bands come from privilege out of necessity (i.e. literally the only people who are able to afford being a musician full-time are people whose parents are rich).
FUCK I haven't had Long John Silvers in thirteen years, gonna be daydreaming about that shit today.
Interesting but not surprising to see so many of the reviews in the "good, not special" camp, but also no one hated it, for better or worse.
I didn't know this was a prep school kid. I didn't know what a prep school was until embarrassingly late in life, so it's clearly my lack of social awareness. But somehow that circles the square for me with the combination clever lyrics and multitude literary references.
I appreciate Zach's nostalgic what-if'y review fits the theme of the album pretty well
I don't think there's actually a Tony Soprano memorial in Jersey, but other countries have the right idea
Similar vibes in the reviews this week.
Joe, I liked your point that maybe it feels like it been done before because we’re older, but she might still be figuring out some of those things in her 20s
Sunny, watching Gilmore Girls is still my only reference point for prep school, haha
Zach, growing up in a town where the median household income is under $30k it never even occurred to me that people would lie about where they were from to seem *less* privileged/wealthy. I usually bend the truth to round up, haha
Lithuania, what are you doing?!?!?
Post a Comment