He wasn't lying. Honest paints an honest and pretty complete picture of the dichotomy of the life formerly led by Nayvadius Wilburn, and the life currently led by Future. The majority (if not all) of the songs fall into these two categories, the exceptions being a few songs about the ladies ("I Won," "I Be U") and the song that acts as the road between these two lives ("Blood, Sweat, Tears").
Future continues in the long tradition of writing songs that tell the listener how much money he spends on things (100k for a watch, etc.). And some of those songs are really fun ("Covered n Money"), others border on redundancy ("T-Shirt"). Question: Is "Covered n Money" trap music, sound-wise? I have no idea. And then still there are songs that add a little nuance to his whole thing ("Never Satisfied," "Benz Friendz"). Regarding "Never Satisfied": 1) I wonder if Future and Drake know that they share this feeling with Alexander Hamilton and Angelica Schuyler? hehe; and 2) what a weird fade-out ending.
Lyrically, I guess you have to take the good with the bad. Some of the lyrics are poetic. Some are not. There's a lyric on "Special" that I felt summed up this whole album: "I took all my problems and I turned it all into hits / I can channel my anger now I can go make me some billions." And then there's this lyric on "I Be U" that I will finish for you: "I seen you in the morning / I seen you in the evening / I seen you in the nighttime when I thought I was creeping" (when pizza's on a bagel, you can eat pizza anytime).
In reaction to the info from Nate's blurb, after listening to the album I was a little surprised to read that Honest is not an essential or well-liked Future album. Not being familiar with any of his other music, I listened to his first three "Top Songs" on Apple ("WAIT FOR U," "Life Is Good," and "X"), and I gotta say, I like some of the songs on Honest way better than these hits.
My favorite song from the world of Nayvadius is "Move That Dope." I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to hip hop, but there's something about the flow of this song that is really fun. "Benz Friendz" is my fave from the world of Future. Any collaboration with André 3000 is a win. This song is legitimately funny, but at the same time endearing. And "Blood, Sweat, and Tears" is another, different, candid (I'm trying not to use the word "honest" too much) take that tells us a little more about Future, under the surface.
I would have never listened to this album if it weren't for RC. I probably will not listen to it again, aside from some individual songs. But, as always, I'm happy to explore a genre and artist unfamiliar to me. It was a fun little ride and learning experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment