Friday, March 17, 2023

Drums Unlimited, Galia


I loved this week of Record Club! Not necessarily because the album blew my socks off, but because having an album with no lyrics felt like a great change in pace, and for me at least, took some of the listening pressure off. During other weeks, I try my best to pay attention to the music and the lyrics to get the full picture of a song... and also to not write something embarrassing like saying a song is super happy and upbeat when the lyrics end up being quite dark.

It was a relaxing experience to be able to have the jazz blend into the background as I went about my day.

As for the album, it was lovely. It was the perfect tempo to not be too energizing and manic, but not too slow to be considered "slow jazz" that would make me just want to sit on the couch with tea for the rest of the day. The first song was a bit misleading in that I assumed the whole album was going to be just drums, but definitely not misleading in a negative way. It was a good way, along with the album title, for Max Roach to say "the drums are the star here." My favorite song for no articulate-able reason is "St. Louis Blues."

No comments: