Friday, March 17, 2023

Drums Unlimited, Gary


Dum dum tiss.

Holy crap. Max Roach is an incredible drummer.

I've always wanted to learn how to play an instrument. When I was little I bought a bass. I tried my butt off to get good at it. Spoiler alert. I never did. But I got better than I had been.

I'm happy to hear that there were other instruments in this album. Not that I couldn't be entertained by 41 minutes of someone banging on a drum. But the other instruments play a big part in almost telling a story.

This was such a great pick for something I would never have listened to by myself. If Bad Bunny taught me anything last week, it's that there is a situation where lyrics can be pretty meaningless. Drums Unlimited somehow has a journey without a single word said. And I appreciate when I don't have to learn lyrics to a song, or more importantly, I don't have to pretend like I know or understand what someone is saying.

Lyrics are just another instrument. For years now I thought for sure they were all that mattered. And somehow I sit here with my eyes closed, bobbing my head around, trying my best to pretend like I have rhythm.

The album is awesome though. It's not the norm that we're used to. It's not something I will probably go back to. But it helped me appreciate and love music just a little bit more.

7 kick drums out of 10

No comments: