Friday, March 4, 2022

Smart Kids, Kai


This week's album brought in a couple of questions for me, such as: Who is McGruff the Crime Dog (I read the Wikipedia page which is surprisingly detailed), and, What will be Joe's next move to get us to write reviews?

I grew up in the UK and as such I was totally unfamiliar with McGruff the Crime Dog, though it may be that applies to quite a few others in Record Club. It did make me think that generally we have turned away from using mascots for social issues. Growing up in the UK, I remember hedgehogs were used to advertise child road safety with the slogan "stop look listen live"—a motto that Joe could perhaps re-purpose for Record Club.


Given this is Record Club, I should mention the music. They're novelty tracks so probably won't make my day-to-day playlist, but the tunes were catchy, and I didn't resent the half an hour spent listening to the album. I think my favorite song was "Marijuana," though "I'm Glad I'm Me" is a close second for use of the robotic voice.

No comments: