Monday, July 27, 2020

This Is My Blood: Kasteel Tripel

If one of the goals of the This Is My Blood project is to cut down on my drinking, then we can find at least one silver lining from this historically awful global pandemic—it's made it easier to drink less. I don't have many reasons to drink, so I've been drinking way less, but my life is pretty much on cheat mode in this very specific regard.

So here I am in Wildwood, NJ, on vacation (or whatever constitutes a "vacation" in this near-apocalyptic version of my favorite shore town). It is a town where I am usually more drunk than sober. I will attempt, I guess, to take it a little easy? Is that even possible here?

We are off to a reasonable start tonight. The plan was to drink one single large bottle of a nice Belgian ale as a sort of stand-in for champagne, in celebration of our return to a home-away-from-home. That went well—decent beer, strong combo of fruity Belgian yeast and bitter hops, closer to an IPA than, say, a dubbel or quadrupel, good shit.

But I also gave in and had a glass of wine with dinner. One extra drink isn't going to kill me, but it also was completely unnecessary, and I couldn't help myself. It was probably the least alcohol I've had in one day in Wildwood in the past decade, and I still can't help but feel that I fucked up by having that extra glass. It doesn't bode well for the rest of the week (in the context of some pretend sobriety, anyway).

But we'll see.

NOTES

BEER: Kasteel Tripel

STYLE: Belgian Tripel

ABV: 11.0%

BREWED BY: Brouwerij Van Honsebrouck N.V.

LOCATION: Emelgem, Belgium

PURCHASED AT: IGA

PAIRED WITH: One single moment of peace while Martha slept and Willow was on the boardwalk getting ice cream with Mom Mom and Grandpop

GRADE: 4 pukes out of 5

BEER COUNT: 287

No comments: