My baby used to dance underneath my architecture, we lost track of space, we lost track of time.
Friday, July 3, 2020
diana, Sunny
I hardly know anything about Diana Ross. The Mahogany interview was a big leap forward, but more generally I just know her as influential and having a ton of hits. So many hits I was kept fat and happy and didn't ever think to dive in further. So I'm happy to see that this album shows she really is that good. "I'm Coming Out" would be enough to make this a legendary album, yet it also has two more singles, arguably more popular.
Her incredible voice and range, the catchy guitar riffs, the memorable basslines stitch it all together. It's a shining vector of the genre. Motown? Nu-motown? Whatever. The production of the album is dated, but not in a pejorative way. I'm sure we've all revisited old "classics" and witnessed how the gaze of time makes them wilt. diana, like other great works, is able to translate over 40 years without missing a step. I can find that same explosive riff and momentum filled bassline in my favorite '19 ost (p5); it's fun to see where the foundation of an era of experimentation may have began.
Thanks Diana, I am having fun again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment