Wednesday, May 6, 2026

Through My Ears — Gloria's April 2026

Welcome to Gloria's new blog column, posted at least once a month, in which she offers some recommendations and insights into the music she's been listening to. This is Through My Ears.

Snarky Puppy

My recap of April.

Just Dropped
(my favorite new releases)

Something is a shell .
EP by SOFIA ISELLA

The first time I heard Sofia Isella, I was scrolling on social media and saw her performing "Above the Neck," covered in dirt and mud on a stage. And the juxtaposition of her conventional beauty with grime worked so well with the poetry of her lyrics. Her lyrics on this album confront the patriarchy, pornography, objectification, sexual violence, desire, and religious hypocrisy in a way I have not seen so approachably done before. I'm just obsessed with this piece of art.


Little Miss Sunshine by Eaves Wilder

This album feels both very fresh and very familiar. It's such a cool vibe; Wilder has the voice of a fairy, and that saccharine, wistful voice soars beautifully over a late-'90s/early-'00s alt-rock background. I find that many of the lyrics and melodies stick in my head for days, but they are not at all unwelcome.


Honora by Flea

What a surprise of an album! It's definitely a jazz album, but I really can't think of anyone else with a similar sound. It plays around with different textures, and the other artists featured on here add their own flair. Flea plays both the trumpet and the bass on this album, and that got me thinking of Flea's musical origins. He started as a trumpet player. Flea went to high school with Hillel Slovak, the original guitarist for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and while they were still in school, Slovak asked him to learn bass so he could join his band. Imagine doing a favor for a friend and becoming one of the great modern bass players. Wild. Check it out, it's such a good album, and I always love a cover of "Wichita Lineman."


Still Spinning
(old(er) albums on constant rotation)

Twin Fantasy
by Car Seat Headrest

When I'm in a weird mental space, I find myself returning to albums that I know every note of. Will Toledo made the album Twin Fantasy twice, first in 2010, and then again in 2018, once they had the budget to make a more polished version. I tend to gravitate to the 2018 version. I love everything about this album, especially the spoken word, which might be a hot take. But the words are so beautifully laced with anxiety, self-doubt, limerence, and humor; so much of it sounds like you are listening to a friend talk.


Novela by Céu

This is such a gorgeous album. It's soft, sultry, neo-soul, with an almost timeless quality. This just came out in 2024, but the first time I heard this, it was on vinyl, and I was sure it was something from the 1960s or '70s; it has that feeling of what you'd imagine being played in a dimly lit tiki bar while you whisper into someone's ear, your eyes lowered, and your hand gently on their back. Céu is a Brazilian artist, so I can't speak to the Portuguese lyrics on this, but I can't imagine understanding them would change my assessment. Right? You can understand the feel of what she is saying even if you don't know the language.


Lumin Rain by Arc De Soleil

When I heard the first notes of this album last summer, I so confidently thought that it was Khruangbin, haha. Arc De Soleil is based in Stockholm but was born in Sri Lanka, and it feels like he draws influence from everything in between. It's a dreamy, psychedelic rock with a mainly Middle Eastern influence. I go back and forth with how I feel about the vocals on this, but the guitar work on this album more than makes up for it. It's outstanding. Listening to Lumin Rain feels like you're floating somewhere between a desert and a dream, watching the heat rise off sunbaked sand. It's hypnotic.


Live and In-Person
(quick concert reviews)

Carlos Nino and Friends
Date: April 1, 2026
Venue: Solar Myth

Saul Williams' hot, spoken-word, leftist poetry danced over a background of cool jazz led by Carlo's Nino on percussion. Williams started out talking about how entertainment for escapism the backbone of capitalism, and it went harder from there. He wasn't wrong about anything he talked about, but low-key did go out for some escapism on this Wednesday night. As he was spitting bars about the exploitation of people in the coffee and sugar industries of my overwhelming thought was, "this man never gets a mental break. He is always thinking and always spiraling." He did a two-night residency, and at the end of the show he said, "Come back tomorrow, I'm sure to be mad about entirely new things by then." A fair assessment in 2026.


Moonchild
Date: April 3, 2026
Venue: Ardmore Music Hall

I'm still not over this concert, it was just so good. I was really curious to see how Moonchild would translate into a live show, given the highly produced sound on their albums, but this concert did not disappoint. They utilized a lot of different instruments that really showcased the musical talent of everyone on stage. There was an insanely positive energy throughout the space. Ardmore is such an intimate venue, and I think that really added to the show's overall vibe.




Robert Plant
Date: April 4, 2026
Venue: The Met

Robert Plant is one of the classic rock artists who genuinely feels like he has kept experimenting artistically as he ages. This was a very folk- and blues-driven concert where Plant showcased mostly new material. He was joined on stage by vocalist Suzi Dian, whose voice wove beautifully with his. He did a few Led Zeppelin classics, much to the delight of the audience, but his sound is so distinct that you would know exactly who you are listening to even if he didn't.



Snarky Puppy
Date: April 17, 2026
Venue: Union Transfer

Snarky Puppy is breathtaking to see live. They have such a high level of musicianship, which plays out on stage both through the louder, high-energy moments and in their quieter moments of intricate improvisation. They played entirely from their latest album, Somni (with the exception of the encore) at this show. This album was such an impressive project centered around the theme of dreams. On the recorded album, they are backed by the Metropole Orkest. Still, Snarky Puppy captured the same level of intensity and complexity with a much smaller group of musicians on stage (ten vs. about 110). It's one of the best new albums I heard last year, and it was a real, um, dream to see it played live.



Soulive
Date: April 25, 2026
Venue: Ardmore Music Hall

Soulive is a soul-jazz trio that reminds you how good it feels to be at a live show. The musical chemistry between them was palpable; everyone was so locked in on their instruments, making it seem like playing was effortless and just so fun.



4 comments:

Joe K said...

A few more intersections of our musical tastes than I expected in this month's entry! Big/longtime fan of Car Seat Headrest! Not necessarily interested in the Flea album but you're not the first music critic I follow who's recommended! And Flea plays trumpet on one of my favorite albums ever (Frances the Mute)!

I was downloading music last night so I already got a jump on my monthly TME pick, the Eaves Wilder album. After the first listen, really good stuff. I'll let you know what final thoughts are in a week.

Gloria said...

I think you’ll like the Eves Wilder album!! It’s in the same vein of music you typically listen to but still feels new. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Gloria said...

Thank you to everyone who read/ listened to the playlist! Please let me know if you get anything out of this so it’s easier to stay motivated with writing it, haha

Zach said...

Getting into this! Loving Eaves Wilder and the Flea album. More to enjoy on repeat listens I'm sure.