Sunday, March 1, 2020

Album of the Week: Every 1's a Winner

Record Club will officially end when there are five weeks in a row during which I am the only one who writes a review. The average weekly number of reviews we get has actually gone up in 2020, so I'll say it now—Record Club will probably never end.

The archives are found on the right, the playlist is found HERE, the new album is found below.

WEEK 57 — March 1-7, 2020

What we're listening to this week (Joe's pick):


ALBUM: Every 1's a Winner
ARTIST: Hot Chocolate

RELEASED: April 1978 (for the first time in Record Club history, I could not find the exact release date)

WHAT GENRE IS THIS: late-'70s R&B pop/disco

WHY JOE PICKED IT: I was familiar with the title track only because Ty Segall covered it on Freedom's Goblin. I had no fucking clue that version was even a cover until I heard the original in Frances Ha (when we finally got around to watching it). I found out that Hot Chocolate did the original, and that Hot Chocolate is the band that sang "You Sexy Thing." At that point, I knew this was going to be a Record Club pick for me.

TRACKLIST (BEWARE OF BONUS TRACKS, WE DON'T DO BONUS TRACKS HERE):
  1. Every 1's a Winner
  2. Confetti Day
  3. Love Is the Answer One More Time
  4. Sometimes It Hurts to Be a Friend
  5. So You Win Again
  6. Stay with Me
  7. Run Away Girl
  8. I'm Going to Make You Feel like a Woman
  9. Put Your Love in Me
LENGTH: 39:19 (again—no fucking bonus tracks, fucking ever)

READING SOME SHIT: Here's a modern interview with the band before they went on one of those tours that runs through either Sugar House or Parx these days.

Happy listening, fam! Have a great week!

No comments: